+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Thats what i call ambition

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    Ouch, hadn't realised. So the much vaunted model has allowed one to wriggle free.
    Who's been vaunting?

As enjoyable as league one is and personally I love it the club have to stop having spells at this level and attempt to cement its place in the championship .

Recent history suggests both ourselves and RUFC are falling in to a cycle of too good for league one but short in the championship .

Neither of us are a mile away , both our most recent relegations were battling efforts but just falling short .

The second tier is where we feel we belong , this will be our 80th season when we kick off in august .

I take the point the championship is a different place these days to what it once was but none the less we have to aspire and try and bridge that gap .

In my opinion our normal market of top lower league talent under 24 years of age at 800k max isn't available , trust me guys we'd be on it at that kind of money but clearly the spreadsheet says no .

Stendel made it perfectly clear he wasn't signing a new contract without first seeing what the budget was .

Clearly if we are to kick on next season and the owners want to at least keep up the model of self sustainability the budget had to be increased , dropping back down to league one , losing our prized HC and another hit on TV revenue wouldn't be business smart .

Stendel wants a play off push and doesn't want to be fighting the drop , big ask but he's ambitious .

The increase in budget had to happen on several levels but even so in championship terms it's still lower end .

Ouch, hadn't realised. So the much vaunted model has allowed one to wriggle free.
    Well not really , he came to us for nowt , played his part in two promotions and the JPT win , got himself in to the Wales set up and now wants to earn the kind of money we can't pay .

The profit with Davies is what he's given us on the field rather than the bank .

He leaves with our best wishes , nobody's a bad word to say about the lad and deserves his chance to set himself up for life .

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    Silly has it spot on, forget about their billionaires. They’ve got promoted and received 4 million for doing so and not hung about seeking players to help retain their championship status next season.

As for us last season................
    I'm not sure Brin but I think "received" might be the wrong tense. True that Championship clubs get about £4 million more than League 1 clubs from EFL/Premiership TV money but I remember reading that these monies aren't paid out until after the end of the season. Which means that spending the money now would effectively be buying on "tick". I've tried to confirm this point on t'internet without success.
    (If correct this would, of course, mean that we received our £7 mill after the end of last season but the chances are this would merely reduce the loss that TS is expected to cover)

I know that you advocated "investment" as the means to success many times last season Brin but didn't you then change your stance and think that TS's approach was about right?

Has Barnsley's little spending spree put you back in the "get yer hand in your pocket" school of thought?

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Well not really , he came to us for nowt , played his part in two promotions and the JPT win , got himself in to the Wales set up and now wants to earn the kind of money we can't pay .

The profit with Davies is what he's given us on the field rather than the bank .

He leaves with our best wishes , nobody's a bad word to say about the lad and deserves his chance to set himself up for life .
    Fair point. And, in a nutshell, encapsulates the quandary we face with Vaulks and Ajayi. Is their "value" greater playing this season for us or is it cold hard cash? Personally I think id take the money and run. The long term future of our beloved Millers has to be the priority.

Fair point. And, in a nutshell, encapsulates the quandary we face with Vaulks and Ajayi. Is their "value" greater playing this season for us or is it cold hard cash? Personally I think id take the money and run. The long term future of our beloved Millers has to be the priority.
    The question in my mind would be do Ajayi and Vaulks want to play in league one ?

Clearly from what I read on here both are championship quality players .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    The question in my mind would be do Ajayi and Vaulks want to play in league one ?

Clearly from what I read on here both are championship quality players .
    That's where you and I differ, and where I differ from many on here. I dont give a flying fig what the little sugar plums want. If they're contracted. End of. Sure players can sulk for a short while but then again not ours because our vetted to be good human beings and model pros.

Seriously though, I do view players as commodities. Because I think they view us as a means to an end.

So, in summary, the equation is what us in RUFCs best interests.

That's where you and I differ, and where I differ from many on here. I dont give a flying fig what the little sugar plums want. If they're contracted. End of. Sure players can sulk for a short while but then again not ours because our vetted to be good human beings and model pros.

Seriously though, I do view players as commodities. Because I think they view us as a means to an end.

So, in summary, the equation is what us in RUFCs best interests.
    But would that be in RUFCs best interests ?

Whether we like it or not the players hold all the aces .

Personally I wouldn't want to keep anyone who is not 100% committed to my club and losing their value as each day passes .

Get them out of the club , take the money and use it to bring in players who do want to play for the club .

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    Barnsley being bankrolled by owners who have a net worth of $9.1bn. Roth owner net worth $150m. Slight difference in what the 2 clubs are able to afford.
    TS has spent more money on RUFC than our owners ever will at Oakwell despite their greater collective wealth .

Only one club getting bankrolled WanChai and it aint us .

This isn't a criticism by the way I'm simply stating a fact , it's Tony's money to spend how he wants .

Other than buy the club the owners haven't spent a round coin of their own money in the 18 months they've owned us .

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Who's been vaunting?
    Us with Will Vaunts

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast