+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBC East Midlands ... Now

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Regrets releasing one or two players at the end of last season due to budget constraints (I think, he wasn't very clear)
    Can't be arsed to search out the interview, but am I the only thinking his biggest regret was releasing Adam Collin?

If Notts have permission to talk to Neal Ardley he could be Alan Hardy's 07:30 breakfast meeting as AFC Wimbledon are playing West Ham this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Can't be arsed to search out the interview, but am I the only thinking his biggest regret was releasing Adam Collin?
    Could well be.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Yes he points in that direction without naming names, but he also confirms in indirect terms that he was given a budget and a choice. He admits that Alan Hardy was successful in landing pretty much all the top targets on his list, but then says in slightly mealy mouthed fashion that perhaps he should have been "stronger" about having to let a couple of players go.

To me, that sounds like the kid in the sweetshop who is asked to choose what he wants and replies "everything". Football management (in fact, all management) is about working with a budget and making choices, and if he wanted to keep Adam Collin, perhaps it would have meant not signing Nathan Thomas, or maybe a couple of the youngsters. That's life at virtually any lower league football club, and you certainly shouldn't feel aggrieved when your chairman has rustled up around £400k to get you new players.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Yes he points in that direction without naming names, but he also confirms in indirect terms that he was given a budget and a choice. He admits that Alan Hardy was successful in landing pretty much all the top targets on his list, but then says in slightly mealy mouthed fashion that perhaps he should have been "stronger" about having to let a couple of players go.

To me, that sounds like the kid in the sweetshop who is asked to choose what he wants and replies "everything". Football management (in fact, all management) is about working with a budget and making choices, and if he wanted to keep Adam Collin, perhaps it would have meant not signing Nathan Thomas, or maybe a couple of the youngsters. That's life at virtually any lower league football club, and you certainly shouldn't feel aggrieved when your chairman has rustled up around £400k to get you new players.
    I agree, he didn't need Thomas really, could have had Allesandra and Hawkridge as the other winger, maybe even Kellet or Jones as well, seems he didn't know what he wanted and forgot about the defence

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Lets seef this KN Facebook one worx.

https://www.facebook.com/BBCNottingh...0672905647084/
    Surprised there hasn't been more comment on this, it is rare to hear from a manager after dismissal. Actually it suggests that it was a parting of ways and not a dismissal because I doubt he would have been talking if he'd been paid off.

Anyway, I hate the word but this interview gave me "closure" in respect of Mr Nolan. It was actually the interview I would expect, no responsibility, laying the blame elsewhere, and very poor on detail when it came to how he was going to change things.

Will be interested how his career progresses, if he can't learn the lessons from this job then it probably won't be far.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    KN gutted. Was talking about players being approached, moving to Nottingham. More interestingly was that Hardy was i studio and alluded to a Championship Manager that he is meeting... who could that be?
    Aitor somebody, can't remember the surname sorry

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post

100% correct. A journo at Mourinho’s “press conference” last night commented that football managers have an almost unique ability to remember their achievements to the minutest detail. Nolan’s interview reminded me of that when he talked about his 40% win rate, and the fact that it was better than most other Notts managers.

From what I’ve heard, they also never, ever accept responsibility for there failures, and in that respect Nolan and Mourinho have a lot in common.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Nolan’s interview reminded me of that when he talked about his 40% win rate, and the fact that it was better than most other Notts managers.
    To use that stat is a bit ridiculous when many of those wins JS and Warnock notched up were in the top flight, and for Jimmy at least, the majority were at worst Championship level. So for me, he can **** right off bringing that into it.

You've got to feel for him personally, but I think there's little doubt that he was failing to achieve a workable team.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast