Quote Originally Posted by TipperaryBaggie View Post
The point that I was trying to make Dub is that people are very quick to criticise if things go wrong. Yes, we have a lot to improve upon in all areas but we are still better than most test teams and, of course, World Champions at one day cricket.
I do see the point you are making and you can only beat the team you are playing against. I agree with that. I guess my point is or could be the same with a lot of modern sports....Is it better? The W. Indies are quite abysmal as a test nation today compared to 20 years a go. India is most likely the same...Pakistan is definitely gone backwards as I would suggest is N Zealand.Sri Lanka are ok. Australia are not as powerful as they once were...South Africa are decent but cant really be compared as they were out of international cricket for so long.
That leaves the likes of Bangladesh,Zimbabwe, and if you want Ireland. Test cricket has gone backwards in its development...no question. There are too many versions of the game, which is where the money is. (Here we go again)
G Gooch could carry as could Tendulkar and many more because they had a temperament that suited a game that went on for 5 days. Not so today, as the modern player has not got the skill set. See how many games finished well within the allotted time...The one day hitter saves the day....and I am fine with that....but cricket isn't a better game for that....