+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: A moral dilemma

A moral dilemma

Ok bearing in mind there is a current discussion about women taking roles in the game with a range of different views I thought I would get a bit of feedback on this moral dilemma -

Imagine your lad plays football for a local under 7 football team and is a Derby season ticket holder and your family have been for generations.
    One day after the weekend game a bloke you've never met is talking to the team coach about your boy. You enquire why and are told that he is a scout and has been impressed with what he has seen. He offers your lad a trial...for Forest! What do you do?

re: A moral dilemma

Well, I have two daughters but in this hypothetical scenario then which club would not matter to me.

More important than silly rivalry stuff, I would think the more important questions would be the same, regardless of who the club was:

1) did my lad actually want to take it to that kind of level and
    2) what was their academy like

In Forests case, their academy is good and they have a good reputation for developing youngsters.

Rivalry is for the stands. Careers are separate and beyond such nonsense. Any parent that was petty enough to stand in their childs way (even if it was just trying to put them off) simply because the club was a rival to the one they support, well they need to take a minute and look up what parenting actually involves!

You could approach derby's academy and tell them forest academy is sniffing and ask if he could have a trial with the rams?

I know a kid that had that happen to him and the kid said no but people around him talked him into it but he hated wearing the shirt from what I was told.

But if it's a job it's different. I know an ex local lad and derby player and we had the same conversation. He said if the money was tight it wouldn't bother him and he grew up derby thru and thru.

Annoyes me when people plate players for going to other clubs or to further themselves. It's a career and anyone is entitled to do that. Those having a go at a player are usually first that would jump at a chance with their job. Football is no different.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch_11
    Ok bearing in mind there is a current discussion about women taking roles in the game with a range of different views I thought I would get a bit of feedback on this moral dilemma -

Imagine your lad plays football for a local under 7 football team and is a Derby season ticket holder and your family have been for generations.
    One day after the weekend game a bloke you've never met is talking to the team coach about your boy. You enquire why and are told that he is a scout and has been impressed with what he has seen. He offers your lad a trial...for Forest! What do you do?
    Call Darren Wassell Fletch and get him a trial with Derby. Seriously.
    As a coach in Nottingham, I've had a few of my team's boys go to Florist. If he's good enough for the Red Dogs he's good enough for Derby. Another to contact at Derby is Andrew Rose on (01332) 340105. Andrew is a really nice guy and although you may struggle to get him (he's out coachi

i wouldn't worry about the derby/forest connections. 'when ar were a lad' we all did it. even though it was forest it was quite prestigious to be in any pro local academy. thankfully I didn't get through the trial so never had to don that god awful filthy red shirt ;-)

so if there's a choice to make I'd let him make it.

I'd be more bothered if they still do what they used to and ban you playing any other form of football other than on the school playground. if he makes it into the forest squad you'll find yourself driving up and down the country when he may never come off the bench. more importantly he'll play much less football in general, although I'd expect he'll get better coaching.

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch_11

No dilemma.. When life throws up an opportunity, take it.. I don't love the company I work for but I am happy to take their money..

If it's your lad, then enjoy watching decent kids football without the morons screaming from the side.
    Big commitment from both sides though, parent and child.. Had years of it with little Angry, takes over your life.

Whate

I don't see why a Florest scout talking to a bus is anything to have a dilemma about

Now listen hear you 52 seater he's a good lad with bags of potential

Back to OP - Fletch if your lad had chance to become pro in future years you would be as proud as punch no matter who he was playing for.

My nephew had similar dilemma trialing with both but now lives in Perth so that solved that one...

Chelsea are interest in him now! Shows the power of the board. Then the literally can park the bus!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)