+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Millmoor gymnasium

Millmoor gymnasium

I remember this large structure being built in the late sixties when other clubs were quite envious of it. It's probably the only bit of the Millmoor infrastructure the club could still benefit from. (Is there anything under cover at Round wood?) Does anyone still use the gym or is it full of scrap?

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerish View Post
    I remember this large structure being built in the late sixties when other clubs were quite envious of it. It's probably the only bit of the Millmoor infrastructure the club could still benefit from. (Is there anything under cover at Round wood?) Does anyone still use the gym or is it full of scrap?
    When it rained heavily water used to drip onto the gym floor, they used to leave a large plastic bucket there to catch it.

Yes, a gym built and fitted out in the 1960s is just about what we need at the moment to help cure our injury/fitness crisis

Although it was known as the gym, there was no gym equipment in there at all. It was just an indoor playing area with a viewing gallery/window to overlook five or six a sides. Indoor pitches can be useful

It was also used by the team for the pre-match warm ups.

I was there a few times as a nipper with my mate who was goalie in the Juniors. One time we were invited to join in the warm up with the players which was great for a young lad, although Bobby Ham running around wearing nowt but a jock strap was a bit off putting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerish View Post
    Although it was known as the gym, there was no gym equipment in there at all. It was just an indoor playing area with a viewing gallery/window to overlook five or six a sides. Indoor pitches can be useful
    Ah OK. As you say it's probably a scrap warehouse these days. Even if it wasn't I don't think there's any love lost between TS and the owners of Millmoor so I doubt he would want to put any business their way and visa versa they probably wouldn't entertain anything to do with RUFC.

Quote Originally Posted by Eternal Optimist View Post
    It was also used by the team for the pre-match warm ups.

I was there a few times as a nipper with my mate who was goalie in the Juniors. One time we were invited to join in the warm up with the players which was great for a young lad, although Bobby Ham running around wearing nowt but a jock strap was a bit off putting.
    He'd probably get locked up for that these days but maybe not with the way Rotherham police handle those types of scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    He'd probably get locked up for that these days but maybe not with the way Rotherham police handle those types of scandal.
    Yes I’ve heard they can be a little ham fisted!