+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Why is our home form so poor?

Why is our home form so poor?

When compared to our away form why is this so? You'd think with a larger crowd in our favour and better facilities we'd fare better, but this isn't the case.
    It's very worrying and is something that will ultimately (I feel) lead us to mid table obscurity this season, despite our decent start away.
    Do we play better against teams that come at us (mainly away) and not be able to break down teams that park the bus (at NYS)? I'm at a loss!

re: Why is our home form so poor?

We lack natural width is my theory.

Opposition come and pack midfield and we get outnumbered as our only ball is up to Revell and their is more of them then us to win second balls etc..

Gillingham was only game we got away with it with Tavernier bombing forward, whilst we where good that day, Gillingham where one notch better then terrible.

Games either go one of two ways, we cant break teams down i.e Carlise, Preston, or we get into good posistions in games and allow others in e,g today, Tranmere, Colchester (and nearly vs Oldham)

I'm beginning to think we should wear our away kit at home and travel to home games from a hotel about 100 miles away.

Perhaps that might do the trick.

Or alternatively start the game sitting really deep, belt it into their half and invite them onto us from the start (rather than the oft repeated policy of marmalising the opposition from the start and then inviting them back in by sitting deep second half).

Also, as a point of interest - bearing in mind our poor win return at home perhaps we should try changing some real basics. Why do we always kick into the home kop second half ? that means the away team has the benefit of kicking towards vocal away support second half. Why not kick into the kop first half ?

Alternatively, we make more poor decisions on the pitch at home.

Is it pressure? Do we feel the pressure more at home, more expectation? I still can't explain the differing halves we play though.

Simple. Convert half the good chances we create at home and we win. Everybody has mentioned the 1st. half chances but the best chance fell to Revell in the 2nd. when he didn't get enough head on the ball from about 3 yds. out - should have buried it!

Well i honestly cant ever remember a game of two halves as clear cut as that...forget the 1-0 scoreline...yes we could have had 3 or 4 more but weve come to expect that..
    How is it possible to come out second half and play like that after such a good first half showing?
    what was said at halftime? Forget about tactics and formations, if your not up for it you deserve nothing and thats what we got...are they nervous kicking towards the north stand? Its not exactly the sh.tford end at manchester is it? Is that why were more comfortable away because they get a more vocal backing and less moaning ?
    You cant back rotherham...nobody knows which teams turning up...coventry could and should have been well and truly battered yesterday..they won because we let them...