+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 60 years on

60 years on

Got back from FP last night to a family gathering which continued all day today. Only just got to check out the MFC Forum. What a treat we were given yesterday. Both teams having a go and the Well deservedly coming out on top. It was special for me as my first visit to FP was on New Years Day 1954. Emotional all afternoon. What a run - five on the trot! My message to the club and all of you out there. Lang may oor lum reek!

re: 60 years on

There have been a lot of highs and lows in those 60 years. What are your favourite moments?

Charlie Aitken was my hero and the Ancell babes played teams off the park. We won the Summer Cup in style in 1965. We lost too many semi-finals after getting beaten by Hearts in the league cup final in 1954. Joe Wark/Bobby Graham/Willie Pettigrew were special in their time. It was important for me to support the cause when we were in the lower division. Wee Tam was important for us and psycho's 40 yarder and Kirkie's back post header are etched in my mind from 1991. We passed teams off the park better than the Ancell babes in the mid 1990s. We came through the business problems of 10 years ago and have made two finals. We've been in Europe ump**** times and I sat behind the goal when Hateley's free kick beat Roy Carrol in Odense. Yesterday was special v St Johnston!
    Come on the Well!

I've not quite managed to rack up 60 years service but my favourite team was from the mid 70s. Ok it didn't win anything but it should have.

That side had it all - skill, pace, experience, and hardness. Guys like Willie McVie, Stewart McLaren, Peter Millar, Peter Marinello, Vic Davidson, Bobby Graham and of course Willie Pettigrew.

These guys had Alex Ferguson rattled before a ball was kicked.

That's a fine summary of the last 60 years!

I remember Aitken fondly - a dashing figure with blonde locks flapping. Here's a line from the FPC piece after his death in 2008.

He was asked in 1964, "When were you most proud to be a Motherwell player?" His answer "Every time I pull the jersey over my head". - view external link

We din't win anything with the mid 70s team - I still have nightmares about the semi-finals v Ardrie and v Rangers (aided and abetted by the man in black from Dundee!) We certainly have had our downs as well as our ups over the years!

Is that the cup game in the 70s against st mirren you refer to. I'm reading fergies book (a crimbo pressie from the missus.) That game gets a mention, he states that his st mirren team were kicked off the park and got no protection from the ref that day, got the feeling it still rankles him. Had a wee giggle at that one.

Some excellent memories here.

I wonder what a board like this would have been like back in the day? Would a slower-paced society have led to more patience? In the 50s Motherwell not only stuck with Stevenson through relegation, they left him in place long enough to get us relegated again before reconstruction saved us. Would folk have been demanding Hunter be sacked for the end of 1934 season? The Ancell Babes were some bunch of bottlers who could clearly just play when the pressure was off - if only we could have gotten rid of that manager sooner we might have had a chance in the cups :-(

Quote Originally Posted by wellin
    Is that the cup game in the 70s against st mirren you refer to.
    Yes it is. Its when I first took a dislike to him. Prior to the match he put pressure on the referee by saying that we were a dirty physical side who would kick his team off the park. Yes we were physical but his side was downright cynical. I think it was Bobby Torrance who went down as if poleaxed as Willie Watson moved in to tackle him. He rolled about the ground in agony. Only problem was Willie pulled out of the tackle. Hilarious!

Agree re 70s team ...Mr Gordon of Newport on Tay (later found to be taking inappropriate 'gifts'...abroad of course!) robbed us as did Mr Slim Johnston falling over!Re Charlie Aitken...also my boyhood hero...a one team player. I was SO sad that the club never honoured him with a FP minute's applause / silence...he got NOTHING...as did big Peter Millar. RIP both.Major memory (1991 aside)...beating the mighty Spurs at FP despite losing in London and going one behind at FP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)