+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Ward ever take a corner that beats the 1st man

Will Ward ever take a corner that beats the 1st man

We arent going to get many chances from open play so our set pieces are very important today, as usual every time i see ward his corners and free kicks are utter rubbish. I really feel that i could do better. FFS mcclaren, put someone else on them. Anyone.Give them bucko over ward all day :/

re: Will Ward ever take a corner that beats the 1st man

Until the last ten minutes Derby played poorly and the midfield let us down today. Hughes and Hendrick didn't run or move and rarely played any sort of forward pass. Yes Chelsea are a top side but we didn't have any energy about our play today until the game was virtually over.

As for Wards set pieces, I have no idea why he keeps taking them!

Set pieces seem to have been a problem for us for a while. Ben Davies was supposed to be the answer but too inconsistent and not getting a game now.

We've got some height in the team now too which we've not always had. The entire back 4 are biggish units and we should really be taking advantage. Maybe something that can be looked at during the transfer window? Set pieces are a massive part of the game now and it's crazy to waste so many.

Can't believe that you think Derby played poorly! I thought given the difference in class we would be slaughtered but we held our own throughout the game for the most part.We were never going to better them but we gave a bloody good account of ourselves!
    In my opinion!

I agree ORF - thought Hughes had a good game with Hendrick feeling his way back to match fitness. Missed Bryson's surges into the box but generally did well. BUT the set pieces are hopeless. If we could whip them in like Willian did for their first goal we could have won this. Professional players should be able to do this.

Yes I agree. Cant believe your calling them sheep when we have just played one of the best teams in EUROPE. We didn't embarrass ourselves at all. We no what Chelsea have got and it was all about keeping our shape keep playing the way we know and try to catch them on the break. They have world class player's and if we can hold a front line out like that then that back 4 for me will do the buiss for us in the 2nd half of the season. Bring on Leicester. .

Quote Originally Posted by eamonnram
    Yes I agree. Cant believe your calling them sheep when we have just played one of the best teams in EUROPE. We didn't embarrass ourselves at all. We no what Chelsea have got and it was all about keeping our shape keep playing the way we know and try to catch them on the break. They have world class player's and if we can hold a front line out like that then that back 4 for me will do the buiss for us in the 2nd half of the season. Bring on Leicester. .
    Ok so it wasn't all bad but I do think we played poorly in midfield. I didn't think Hughes played well at all, he jogged around and never ran into space after passing the ball. Whenever we got the ball in their half nobody seemed to be moving into space other than Martin.

Maybe I'm wrong but that's my opinion.

I thought hughes had an ok game tbh, not fantastic but one of our better players. Im happy with 2-0 as i dont think it'll shake our confidence too much,m i was worried abouut a spanking so ill take 2 nothing all day long. We need to get something at leicester if we are going to do anything this year imo. Big big game

Ward and Hughes were disappointing for me today but overall thought Derby played to the best of their abilities. Frustrated Chelsea in the first half and held our line well. The difference in class was always going to show in the end, but well done Derby. Was impressed with Buxton and Hughes at the back, also Martin's deft touches.
    COYR

agree with you there Triz,

Streamed the 2nd half from Hungary on BT1 and Warnock and Ginola were ever so scathing of the performance by us in the post match analysis. Anyone else see it?

Warnock said that his mum could have scored the first and that Buxton was greatly at fault for the second. Generally they believed that we didn't treat it like a cup match until we were 2 -0 down. Didn't think that was fair.

From what I saw I thought we deserved a lot more respect. We kept our shape and did a lot of encouraging work at containing them when we didn't have the ball.

Thought Sammon was a real nuisance when he came on and that Bennett took to the occasion really well and looked our most threatening player.

Hughes and Martin played some great passes but we really missed Bryson's ability to break forward.

Back to the original topic though, we couldn't have a better coach than Paul Simpson to help work on free-kicks.

That was the biggest disappointment and the telling difference i

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)