+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Tesco proposed development ...

re: The Tesco proposed development ...

Not impressed with the plans to be honest and think it could restrict the club in the future.

It looks like we get a new car park and something done to the north stand but we don't know what but it does not appear to be anything significant or anything other than short term.

I think any future expansion of the ground or turn around would then be difficult due to parking as this would need to be on the new car park.

Very dissapointed also with the lack of info from the club on what is to be done and having more details in a paper.

Just to add as well as the 'plans' I assume we are pocketing some money as well for future development... but as above struggle to see anything other than short term planning so could be throwing money away and an opportunity for very little gain for the club.

True Blue Army site has a good thread on this topic, worth a read in my opinion. I have to say if Tesco hadn't come along with this plan, then from what I have heard B & Q would probably have downsized and another large supermarket would have taken over the large space they vacated. This way we get a new car park, entrances and some dosh to carry out much needed improvements. Something else to discuss when the Truss reconvenes in due course

Thanks - had a read and seems there is potential.

Still disappointing nothing from the club though!

From the clubs website

Plans submitted for Tesco store

Project includes stadium improvements

A scheme to build a new Tesco store on land behind Fratton Park has taken a huge step forward as a planning application was submitted to Portsmouth City Council today (February 10).

The eagerly anticipated plans – which have been in development since the summer – include early improvements to the stadium.

The land deal between the club and the site’s owners will also help Pompey secure their long-term success at Fratton Park.

Local residents and fans were widely consulted over the summer, with more than 90 per cent of those asked supporting both the store and the improvements to the ground.

Point Estates, the company behind the scheme, is owned by Stuart Robinson, who has been working closely with the club for more than 12 months as its property partner.

Getting the plans finalised has taken longer than originally anticipated, but Stuart is delighted they are finally ready to be

Thats my point - where are the plans for what they what we are going to do rather than Tescos

Vague mentions from the CEO of 5 or even 10 year plans from where I sit Whatever. The main priority for me is to stay in this division. I have been following this club for 50 years. I have to say in that time there have been so many ideas, so many plans. The first I recall was moving to the old airport which of course became Anchorage Park. The daftest one was the Hard move which was never going to happen. I've heard it all and will believe it, when or more likely if it happens. That sums me up in a nutshell

I pretty much echo Lovedean's views (no "like" button now otherwise I would have just clicked that!!!). Been following the club since mid 1950s and just hoping for stability this season.

Another one agreeing with LDB. So many ideas and promises, even knocked a little wall over once. However no real possibility of a go ahead.
    Once when I thought there was a tiny chance the Brent Geese ably supported by Farlington residents scuppered the plans. There won't be anything (not even a new stand in my lifetime and I put staying in the Football League above everything.
    Can you imagine watching your team being League Champions two years running and then watching them slip out of the League? Unthinkable!
    What a run of bandits we have had associated with our club!!

I recall a Southern Electric (as it was called then) cable jointer telling me how all the utility services were cut off to the factories/units behind the North Stand. It was all ready to go Mandaric put the hard hat on, got the photo shoots he wanted and we know what then happened.
    Change of topic I know but Kitey, am thinking of a couple of away trips before the season ends. Daggers and Northampton are in my thoughts. What about you ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)