+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First game attended.

First game attended.

I have vague recollections of the first game I ever attended. My grandfather took me...early 60s (I think) and it was against Brazilian side Flamenco. Believe we won 9 - 3 and I gret to get home 'cos I was bored . Within the next year or so I was a season ticket holder and was hooked. Can anyone confirm when that game took place and if that was the correct score?
    What are others first memories of Fir Park?

re: First game attended.

Mine was against Kilmarnock at fir Park in the early 70's.It was a midweek game, but it was played in the afternoon due to to Electricity cuts,during the 3 day week.

New Year's Day 1954. 6-0 win v Albion Rovers. I was hooked!

My first game was 2-2 against Rangers – lifted over the turnstiles by my dad. I think it was 1962. I remember thinking the ground was huge!

Your recollections are spot on ouiman! 26 April 1960. St J - 6 (yes double hat-trick) WH - 2 and PQ - 1. We had some unbelievable *friendly* results around that time beating Leeds, Gotenburg, Atletico Bilbao, Toulouse and Marseilles (deux oui teams from France!). We also beat Stranraer!!

I listened to Willie McSeveny talking about these games a few years ago at a Motherwell night at Lanark Grammar. What a treat! What a privilege!

v.Sheep in 1956...I was 4. It was a draw...(Don't think Beaton was to blame that game!) Was taken by my dad and a neighbour, Donald MacRobbie (an Eberdonian)...I liked the team with the "yellow strip and red stripe on it"...it was the start of a lifelong insane obsession...

Thanks everwell...glad I didnt just imagine it .

Can't remember the specifics but would be in mid 50s. Andy Paton was still in the team. I remember getting a cuff from my dad for repeating some of Andy's industrial language!

Was Airdie in '74 I think. Strangely enough, I remember hee-haw about it, although it must've had a subconscious effect on me 'cos I've hated everything Airdrie since. But I do remember greetin my eyes out behind the couch that summer when Scotland drew 0-0 in Germany against Brazil when we were 'all over them'. I was 10 !

Mid seventies was my first well game, v rangers. I can remember standing in the bottom part of the main stand, where the first aiders stand. I think it was called the enclosure. Cant remember much about the game but same as a previous poster said i thought the place was huge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)