+ Visit Preston North End FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Golden Goal - North End Trivia

Golden Goal - North End Trivia

Being a sad stato I noticed that on 9 Dec 1997 we beat Darlington 3-2 via a Golden Goal (remember that daft idea) in the coveted Association Members Cup. As far as I know this is the only time weve scored a Golden Goal. The records show David Eyres scored a brace and Michael Appleton one. Does anybody know who was the Golden Boy?

re: Golden Goal - North End Trivia

Cant find that anywhere at the moment Triffid but will be catching up with a couple of friends at the weekend and one of them is a real football nut so will run it by him.

Cheers mate. Keep me posted!

It was David Eyres.

PNE 1 Darlington 0 - Michael Appleton (28)
    PNE 2 Darlington 0 - David Eyres (61)
    PNE 2 Darlington 1 - Brian Atkinson (pen 74)
    PNE 2 Darlington 2 - Craig Midgley (85)
    PNE 3 Darlington 2 - David Eyres (110)

Cheers Fulwood and Gards, much obliged.

Quote Originally Posted by fulwood
    It was David Eyres.

PNE 1 Darlington 0 - Michael Appleton (28)
    PNE 2 Darlington 0 - David Eyres (61)
    PNE 2 Darlington 1 - Brian Atkinson (pen 74)
    PNE 2 Darlington 2 - Craig Midgley (85)
    PNE 3 Darlington 2 - David Eyres (110)
    Fulwood you rock it was doing my head in

Lads,

Forgot to mention David Eyres is probably my favourite North End player of all-time. What a player. Just kept getting better with age. Honestly what a player! His skill on the ball. The crosses. the free-kicks. His brace against Blackpool!

Quote Originally Posted by triffid
    Lads,

Forgot to mention David Eyres is probably my favourite North End player of all-time. What a player. Just kept getting better with age. Honestly what a player! His skill on the ball. The crosses. the free-kicks. His brace against Blackpool!
    We were just talking the other day about who would be in your top 5 of players we have supported in the last 20 years or so and Eyres was in our top 5 along with the likes of Mooney, Ashcroft, Machin, McKenna. Ellis should have been in there but his traitor ways kept him out . Eyres must be one of the most liked players in our region and a gentleman to boot.

IAd have Nugent and Gregan in there. Also thought Chris Lucketti was rock steady in defence. Not sure about Mooney, I just about remember him, but wasnAt there a work-rate issue with him? Also a bit too fond of the source.

Gregan - absolutely agree and in modern times the bet midfielder by far. Nugent is indeed up there but would have liked to have had him 1 more season.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)