+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Queens v Alloa

re: Queens v Alloa

Just a little whisper - maybe !!!

Quote Originally Posted by deek5trans
    Think Paul Hartley beat himself today with his first half tactics. I think if alloa cane to attack this game the game would have been closer.
    Not at all. They played with one up front and sat off us allowing us to play hitting on the break. When they came at us second half it became obvious they were a better team than how they were employed first half.
    Hartley said himself on the radio during the week he has two systems. One for home and one for away.
    Still I am very happy with the result and glad Hartley did what he did first half.

Don't you mean the opposite? If Alloa came to defend the game would have been closer?

Most attacking Alloa have been against us in a long time. They had a lot of chances today but we were clinical.[/quote]

Thought the team played well on Saturday, although on another day it could easily have been different.

We were also brilliant in the first half against Livi at Palmerston and should have put that game to bed.

I have a couple of major issues which I would like Mr. McIntyre to consider though, and that is with regard to substitutes.

Why, when we have 3 recognised midfielders: McShane Dwzerski and to a lesser extent Slattery on the bench, do we persist in playing McKenna on a booking? We were lucky to come away with a point from the Livi game, because both McKenna and Russel were on a booking and very likely to be sent off. Both players should have been subbed that day.

On Saturday, we had Burns and McKenna booked again, and McKenna could easily have been sent off for his late challenge on the Alloa number seven, who caused us all sorts of problems with his pace. What did Mr. McIntyre do? he decided to substitute the very influential Russel, who was playing wide and building play

Agree about McKenna to a point but can see why he left him on as when we subbed him the previous week at Hamilton we lost midfield.

When Russell was subbed i would have put Danny on the wing like he did, moved Russell up front and took Lyle off.

Lyle had badly faded out the game by then and Russell had been pretty quite on the wing although still had bags of energy left.

Lose they moan

& win they moan .

Gee's a break

Can't believe this. The team played as well on Saturday as we have all season and some are still not happy. Yes McKenna was booked and could have been sent off, but the fact is he wasn't and went on to have a fine game. If he was taken off and we lost then the manager would have been hammered. Wonder if the same message would be posted if Johnston was still manager! In terms of lyle, he took a knock and was limping for 5 minutes before he was taken off and Russell had his quietest game of the season IMO and deserved to get taken off. I can't think of him taking on the full back at any point during the game. For once this season I thought the manager got everything spot on and we won a hard fixture reasonably comfortably, with alloa having at most, three good chances during the 90 minutes, and bain probably being there mom, so why can't we just enjoy the moment without criticism.

Russell did take on the back, - Took the ball to the by-line and crossed for Lyle to score the third goal !! Very similar Thompsons goal against us in the cup tie with St Mirren

But surely as a wide man he should have been taking him on at every opportunity and that didn't happen on Saturday, therefore the manager changed it. Credit where it's due, he manager got it right on all counts on Saturday and the result and performance proved that. For the first time in weeks I have no complaints.

Re: McKenna's Discilpline. The style of his play means that McKenna will always be courting with picking up bookings, but every team needs that type of player to hassle opponents and win the ball in midfield. Try and take that out of his game and you might as well not play him. To be honest I'm not sure why he was booked early on as I can't remember him making a bad tackle at that time. I would hope that the Referee realised he had been too hasty in booking him and gave him a bit of leeway with later tackles. As for the notion that he should have been substituted in case he did get another caution, is the Manager supposed to substitute every player who is booked just as a precaution? You could end up using all your subs to replace them and not have any left in case of injuries. Sometimes you have to take a chance and hope that the player can keep his discipline in check. As for the bookings in the match, apart from McGuffie's, which was well deserved, I thought the Referee was a bit

Think it was the fact we had both central midfielders who were on yellows which was cause for concern not the fact it was just McKenna.

JM would have been entirely justified pulling one of them off.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)