+ Visit Southampton FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Dark Lord a.k.a. Rupert Lowe

The Dark Lord a.k.a. Rupert Lowe

I've just been on the Daily Echo and saw the following comment about Lowe:
    "Sold our best players at knock down prices
    Axed managers and appointed cheaper, worse and less experienced managers, every time cutting their resources (Steve Wiggly, Poortvliet and Wotte are particularly good examples of this)
    Appointed Harry Redknapp (enough said)
    Appointed Clive Woodward to do nothing on a vast salary DESPITE getting managers on the cheap and flogging young players at a fraction of their market value (or even the agreed price - Walcott / Bale)
    Failed to negotiate standard sell on clauses in player transfers (Bale)"

Obviously I remember all the chants of 'Swing Lowe, Swing Rupert Lowe, Swing him for the Itchen Bridge' etc. and his not so triumphant return when we were in Championship.

Most of you probably want to forget about him, but was hoping to hear a little more about just why he was so bad.

A few benefits which I can see:

St.Mary's - maybe at the time was a bad decision because of t

re: The Dark Lord a.k.a. Rupert Lowe

He doesn't deserve to be mentioned on here IMO - C UNT!

Lowe took a run down club with a ramshackle stadium and laid the foundations for where the club is today. Without his work, I'm confident that Liebherr & Cortese wouldn't have been remotely interested in investing.

I don't blame him for selling the players mentioned - IMO, Lowe was desperately trying to keep the club afloat and offloading the big earners and cashing in on our star assets was far more honourable than running up obscene levels of debt without the means or intention to repay it.

I'm not saying he was perfect - far from it, in fact. He was a PR disaster, some of his appointments were bewildering and he habitually alienated himself from the fans.

However, am I glad that Lowe had a spell at the club ? Absolutely. But he had taken the club as far as he could and it was crying out for an ML / NC partnership to step in and take it to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by harvey_7
    Out of interest, why do you think that, Harv ?

Quote Originally Posted by PapaLazarou
    Out of interest, why do you think that, Harv ?[/quote]

Good response Papa - I thought it would get a bit of a mixed reception, that's why I thought it would be interesting to discuss. I'd also like to hear why you think that Harv...

I'm sure that through all of the crap he took our club through Rupert Lowe always tried to put the club first.
    If he wasn't as bad as he was we would never have heard of Markus and Cortese.

From memory, wasn't Lowe involved (personally), with the financing of SMS?

I know he was obviously involved, but I mean wasn't the deal set to benefit him personally?

Similar feelings to Papa.

He wasn't a football man but he did get us SMS which had been promised to us for 20 odd years and he helped develop the academy.

Strange appointments like Clive Woodward didn't help his cause and Like. Weasel, I always seemed to remember him trying to look after number one.

Also, one time in corporate the rosti on my lamb dish was far too salty and after personally mentioning it to him, he didn't seem too repentant.

I'll never ****ing forgive him for that..

Did you go shooting with him Pents?

Quote Originally Posted by PapaLazarou
    Out of interest, why do you think that, Harv ?[/quote]

Because his job was to look after our club, something in which he failed to do! He spent money we clearly didn't have & nearly put us into liquidation, yes I don't know the ins & outs of it as I was quite young when this happened but from what I have heard & been told, I strongly dislike him.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast