+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is Rhodes going down the road ?

re: Is Rhodes going down the road ?

Quote Originally Posted by faither
    Hi, Saints fan here in peace. I have been wondering how English people view guys like Rhodes who choose to play for another country - without much success in his case - but continue to play in your league.
    I`m sure the vast majority of folk would never dream of doing something like that, other than for financial gain, and I thoroughly disapprove of this myself.
    Good luck in tonights game against Manchester.
    Have you seen how many foreign nationals play in our leagues

Hi, Saints fan here in peace. I have been wondering how English people view guys like Rhodes who choose to play for another country - without much success in his case - but continue to play in your league.
    I`m sure the vast majority of folk would never dream of doing something like that, other than for financial gain, and I thoroughly disapprove of this myself.
    Good luck in tonights game against Manchester.
    He qualifies to play for Scotland. And has not represented England at any level. So why disapprove?
    I take exeption to clubs like Saints who hire average at best Argentianian managers, who dont add anything to our league. Its bad enough to get the best. So im at a loss why clubs like yours make such a choice hiring average foreign.
    Being British, like Rhodes isnt exactly foreign, like an argentiain eg.

Sorry i should have made it clearer, its St Mirren I support. The point is that Rhodes, and others like him, is English and should never be playing for Scotland. Whats up with his own country?
    Lol, the bit about Argentine managers has me baffled though.

St Mirrent to Southampton is some distance!!!

Back to the non OP. This goes on all the time as humans migrate. Personally I could have played for England, Northern Ireland or Brazil, (in fact it was only lack of talent that held back my international Brazilian career). But I know many of you Scots tend to be more jingoistic and nationalistic than most and that the south of boarder in particular gets right up your nose. Shame really, as these boundary lines are man made and don't occur in nature.

If Rhodes dyed his hair ginger would that help?

Why would anybody want to play football for Scotland.? especially an Englishman.

Sorry i should have made it clearer, its St Mirren I support. The point is that Rhodes, and others like him, is English and should never be playing for Scotland. Whats up with his own country?
    Lol, the bit about Argentine managers has me baffled though.
    St Mirren? You dont need to apologise. My fault for thinking Southampton. My guess is you havent had many Argie managers over the years.

to answer your question - he has 0 chance of representing England. After being approached by Scotland, he was offered a chance, so took it.
    1988 - 1990 - 1994 the bulk of the Eire was made up of players deemed not good enough to represent England. Haughton, Phelean, Cascarino, Townsend etc etc ...oh and they had an English manager too. I think Eire had about 2 or 3 'actual' Irish players playing.
    They had a guy born in Glasgow with Scottish parents (both) in Ray Haughton, aswell.

This is nothing new, its been happening in almost every sport,

Where is Rhodes this evening ?

Quote Originally Posted by es***red52
    Where is Rhodes this evening ?
    Rested, it's only a cup game. Sure you'll see him on Saturday

Hi, thanks for the reply. I had just been thinking about Rhodes after seeing the original post and just wondered how fans of his own team ( and country) had thought about it.
    I agree that we have a bit of a cheek expecting someone to turn up regularly and be on the bench - particularly given how poor we are these days.
    We actually have a Rovers fan in our work up here who goes regularly the 200 odd miles to see them and who recently downloaded a report of the 1884 FA cup final against one of our local teams here Queens Park. Was a surprise to all of us that it could have happened 9 and did again the following year ! )
    Take the point about the Irish team as well. We may end up like that if not careful !
    Appreciate all the replies and wish your club the best for the remainder of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by champs95
    I doubt he'd be sold at a loss, so I'd say he's worth less than any club will have to pay for him. That said, he can score goals. But that really is about it, (until last Saturday when he got his 1st assist). And he's cup tied
    We have been linked to him but can't see it, the asking price may be to much for us at this level, what's the rumours surrounding him from your end ?[/quote]

The problem is the way Blackburn are bigging up the A?8 million when they haven't paid that amount.
    Although know one except the club know the details I suspect that maybe A?6 mill was paid over a period of time with add-ons related to Blackburn returning to the premiership and maybe a goals bonus.

If they were offered A?8 million cash then that would represent a profit and should expect there will be a

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)