+ Visit Aston Villa FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Addicted to being connected?

Addicted to being connected?

Through a series of unplanned events I found myself without a mobile phone and internet connection. What surprised was the mild anxiety that set in. Can't check emails/customer calls/issues,are the kids ok, etc. Twelve hours later I was connected and missed...buggerall.

It's like a weird disconnection from the world. I was sure I was missing something important.

So how would you go if you were unexpectedly cut off?

re: Addicted to being connected?

*Sheepishly raises hand

I really never thought I would be, as I'm a bit lazy about checking my email messages, and I tend to switch my mobile phone off quite a bit, as I can sometimes find it a bit intrusive. But, when I've been unable to connect for any length of time (24 hours plus) to due to a lack of signal or whatever, I do recognise that feeling of disconnection from the world that you describe. It's just a slight concern that something may have happened that I should know about, and I can't check. Of course, when I'm back connected again, all there ever is, are a few daft messages from friends and family and someone trying to sell me something!

I love the internet to be honest. I'm not a big reader but my knowledge has increased dramatically in various subjects because of YouTube. I'm big into subjects involving lost and ancient history. Bigfoot and ufos are quite good and stuff like hollow earth.
    I would have never learned these things without it.

Quote Originally Posted by bongosdad
    my knowledge has increased dramatically in various subjects because of YouTube.
    That's gold right there.

We all love the internet. The topic was how you'd cope if it was taken from you, unexpectedly?

Quote Originally Posted by MissWinnie
    *Sheepishly raises hand

I really never thought I would be, as I'm a bit lazy about checking my email messages, and I tend to switch my mobile phone off quite a bit, as I can sometimes find it a bit intrusive. But, when I've been unable to connect for any length of time (24 hours plus) to due to a lack of signal or whatever, I do recognise that feeling of disconnection from the world that you describe. It's just a slight concern that something may have happened that I should know about, and I can't check. Of course, when I'm back connected again, all there ever is, are a few daft messages from friends and family and someone trying to sell me something!
    Winnie, I was thinking about life before mobiles. Something urgent and we were driving/running, trying to find a phone-box. And then hoping there wasn't a queue to use it and that the phone wasn't stuffed.

Those days were annoying. Remember the days when you had to go looking for your friends and share one phone. Texting was an amazing invention and I would be lost without that.
    To be honest when the board closed for a while it was nice to take a break from it. The PC does stop you doing stuff and takes hours of your time.

Quote Originally Posted by ozfan
    *Sheepishly raises hand

Winnie, I was thinking about life before mobiles. Something urgent and we were driving/running, trying to find a phone-box. And then hoping there wasn't a queue to use it and that the phone wasn't stuffed.[/quote]

And not forgetting

kind of got used to being able to do all the boring stuff like paying, bills, banking, arranging travel etc, at the click of a button - but I think I'd re-adapt quite easily to that.

Like I said, before though, it's definitely the ease of connection to people that would be the main thing I'd hate to lose ...

Id struggle.
    I like to relax while reading the news or about Villa or on plants or whatever and without the net its harder to do that you think.

I lost my internet last year for a couple of months and was totally lost and bored I can safely say it now a part of my life and can't do without it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)