+ Visit Nottingham Forest FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: what a load of **** holes on the direby site

re: what a load of **** holes on the direby site

Show me where I said it did.
    After the horrible little jock we just got rid of, I'd take a returning former hero of SP's standing over just about any other so called successful manager any day. I didn't think I'd need to explain that, I thought you were smart enough to work that out. Seems I was wrong.

I read it as you thinking Pearce was a good manager. I apologise for my error.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie
    Same with their criticism of Stuart Pearce, we can all have a 78 cap former england captain return as boss can't we?

Though what the other tribe have to crow about is beyond me.

If you think 78 caps as a player guarantees a good manager, it seems that's not the only thing beyond you.[/quote]

Like bobby Moore or Alan ball or Martin peters or Bryan robson or even David platt

We won it twice ( yes, we really did) when it was sudden death which is a damn sight harder than it is now.

Please tell me you don't honestly believe that.[/quote]
    Of course to the sheep and to your lot we won it simply by playing the likes of Aspley Old Boys and such like but in those days if you lost one game by a couple of goals you were out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sma11ytheRam
    Winning the champions league this year seems under threat now
    as may be but sure as **** the sheep worriers will always be two wins behind us...[/quote]

Why when did you win the Champions League?[/quote]
    OK, I'll play along with you Mr Pedant. We won it twice ( yes, we really did) when it was sudden death which is a damn sight harder than it is now.[/quote]

So...

Playing 6 games in a LEAGUE (hence the Champions League) followed by 6 games of home and away sudden death and then a final (13 games playing 7 different teams)

Is easier than:-

8 games of home and away sudden death and a final (9 games playing 5 different teams)???

Keep telling yourself that pal I'm sure you believe it.[/quote]

So sudden death is easier than

We won it twice ( yes, we really did) when it was sudden death which is a damn sight harder than it is now.

Please tell me you don't honestly believe that.[/quote]

Yes we do. You argue this EVERY TIME some ****er brings up the European Cups.[/quote]

No, I argue it every time someone claims it was a stronger competition back then because only Champions were allowed in it.

Because of the reasons I've stated above, that is clearly not true.[/quote]

May not have been a stronger competition then - compared to today, but as it was sudden death it was a harder competition to win.

Same with their criticism of Stuart Pearce, we can all have a 78 cap former england captain return as boss can't we?

Though what the other tribe have to crow about is beyond me.

If you think 78 caps as a player guarantees a good manager, it seems that's not the only thing beyond you.[/quote]

No it doesn't, however, he is no better or worse than anyone else mentioned but he does have a good head start by the fans being on his side from minute one and he has a genuine affection for the club.

Quote Originally Posted by Bologna_reunited
    No, I argue it every time someone claims it was a stronger competition back then because only Champions were allowed in it.

Because of the reasons I've stated above, that is clearly not true.
    May not have been a stronger competition then - compared to today.[/quote]

We got there in the end. I'm not sure how a competition with much stronger teams is easier to win than a competition with weaker teams though. There's no doubt that winning the European Cup was a fantastic achievement for a club of Forest's size, but why can't you do what most of your fans do and enjoy it for what it was? Trying to pretend it was something it clearly wasn't just makes you look a bit silly.

Because of the reasons I've stated above, that is clearly not true.
    May not have been a stronger competition then - compared to today.[/quote]

We got there in the end. I'm not sure how a competition with much stronger teams is easier to win than a competition with weaker teams though. There's no doubt that winning the European Cup was a fantastic achievement for a club of Forest's size, but why can't you do what most of your fans do and enjoy it for what it was? Trying to pretend it was something it clearly wasn't just makes you look a bit silly.[/quote]

This is the part which gets up my hooter, "good for a club of a Forests size" so therefore then the "big boys" should have been winning it every year

[quote="Bologna_reunited" should have been winning it every year then. So how come even allowing for the easier format nowadays we are still the last English team to retain it?[/quote]

Already answered that. Champions League is a much stronger, more competitive competition therefore harder to win. This "easier format" thing is a red herring any way. The league part of CL is simply to maximise tv revenue while ensuring the stronger teams are there when it reverts to a knock-out format. UEFA realised that people wouldn't pay to see small clubs play each other (Forest v Malmo?) and they only really wanted the big guns involved. Like it or not, the clubs now make a fortune from the competition when it was a relative pittance in the EC.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast