+ Visit Arbroath FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A dogged draw at Stranraer

A dogged draw at Stranraer

A heavy pitch and swirling wind made it a difficult day for football. We started with McManus and Macintosh up front, Chis, Sheerin, Nicoll and Linn, Little, Trav, Keddie, Hammy and Wood in goal. Several early chances to the Lichties including a great break by Leighton. We scored with an excellent move finished from 2 yards by McManus.

Second half they penned us back and Wood made some great stops. Macintosh hit the post on a break before they levelled with a deflected shot from 30 yards.

Scott came on for PS at half time and Banjo and Deuchar came on in the last 10 mins.

Wood, Linn and Nicoll were our best players but there were no failures.

Stranraer were strong and tidy and a draw probably a fair result.

re: A dogged draw at Stranraer

Normally a point away us a good result but results went against us today with Airdrie getting a last minute winner. Next week is a massive game for us and with games against Brechin away and the Fife and Airdrie at home to follow we have a chance. Gonna need all 12 points from these I think. C'mon lichties.

7 wins needed, I think

Very good account of the match from Tim Lichtie.

Yesterday was a very good away point and a highly credible result.

Sheerin has installed a good positive team spirit within the squad - the players never give less than 100% .

Arbroath are starting to look good with big improvements and hopefully we will hit the form required in the final run in of this campaign.

Think we need to gain at least 7 wins to avoid the play offs or worse.

There is absolutely no reason why we can't do this - let the battle commence.

I failed to mention that I believe that Kev Nicol picked up 2 yellow cards but wasn't sent off. Ref was Sommers. Perhaps someone can clarify. Mr Refhater might have been there?

The ref also gave a yellow against Stranraer forward for a dive on the edge of the box in the first half. The home fans loved that!!

Just watched the highlights, when your lucks out it is out

It certainly doesn't look like the 3rd placed team against the bottom. We're easily as good as most in this league. Good to see our 3 forwards link for the goal.

I didn't make the long journey done but going by the highlights and reports from people there we were very unlucky not to get 3 points. The Keeper pulling off two great saves from Leighton and Kiffy and at the other end Sandy Wood pulling off some good saves.

The games against Forfar, Brechin, East Fife and Airdrie are crucial but I think we can get some wins.

Smokies & Wine

Quote Originally Posted by timlichtie
    I failed to mention that I believe that Kev Nicol picked up 2 yellow cards but wasn't sent off. Ref was Sommers. Perhaps someone can clarify. Mr Refhater might have been there?
    Indeed I was Tim. Sorry cannot clear this up for you. Nicoll was certainly spoken to on more than one occasion. However, I can just visually remember the one card. I wouldn't have put it past that dunderheid to have gotten it so diabolically wrong on Saturday. Another stop/start game. Every time someone went down he blew that bloody whistle! The man is the pits, full stop.

As for a dogged draw. At the early stages of the campaign, or in any other season, a draw at Stair Park would have been a point gained. A respectable result at a ground that we've had difficulty at the past few seasons. Also, taking into account how well Stranraer have been playing recently, they looked no better than us on Saturday.

However. Paul Sheerin made a crucial error, in my personal opinion, on Saturday. The two central strikers were both visibly spent come 65+ minutes and the gaffer took far too long to make the changes required. Kenny Deuchar was brought on with only 5 minutes left of normal time, for the clearly tired Leighton McIntosh. Paul McManus was also struggling to maintain the pace of the game and a 'freshening up' was the requirement.

Stanraer were in the ascendancy, the pressure was mounting. And so, when the ball fell to the player outside our box and our boys failed to pressure the ball, a wicked deflection beat Sandy Wood. Very disappointing both at the time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)