+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Our Mental Strength...

Our Mental Strength...

Richie Barker insists his Pompey side have now gained some important mental strength as they took an important step towards League Two safety.

Although it was a far from vintage display, the Blues stood firm in the face of a late onslaught to claim a gutsy 1-0 win over AFC Wimbledon and give themselves some ***** breathing space in the battle to beat the drop.

Victory lifted them up to 17th place in the table and ensured they now have a seven-point cushion over second-bottom Torquay, although most teams below them have games in hand.

But after throwing away victory in the final seconds at Exeter a week earlier, it was a crucial step as the Blues negotiated a tense finale to pick up a much-needed win at Fratton Park.

Barker said: ‘We’ve come a long way in a short space of time.

‘The players would have been excused if they’d had an eye on what happened last week when we conceded with the last kick of the game.

‘Those last five minutes seemed to go on for a while.

‘It was a lot li

re: Our Mental Strength...

Apparently Racon bottled a tackle early in the game and got an earful from team mates. No place for bottlers in L2/Div 4, seems like something Barker's trying to drum into them.

11th in the L2 form guide... P8 W2 D4 L2

That'll do for me right now

I thought it was a shocking game tbh. But the big plus for me was the team gave their collective all bar one, come to that in a mo. Barcham did a brilliant block in the last minute not something you expect him to do. Chorley was outstanding & it was infectious. However,Jervis is a lazy little bugger, a goal scorer he maybe if its put on a plate but he's like Izale Mcleod, beyond a goal here & there you get zero output from him anywhere else on the pitch.

I agree entirely about Jervis, he wont score many goals for Pompey, I much prefer Ryan Taylor who is much more effective.

Jervis goes down too easy for me, looking for a pen which he never gets. Referees do talk between themselves for sure

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)