+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Support from the North Stand

Support from the North Stand

In my opinion the support on saturday from the north stand was abysmal,it seems that if we arnt 2 or 3 goals up its very quiet,disorganised and not on the same wave length spring to mind,thought the team did well to win with very little encouragment,over the last weeks and months people have been comparing the current team to that of 1980 and also the Ronnie Moore double promotion teams,well i can tell you this the support from the Tivoli for them two teams was far superior than todays. S.Es request to pump up the volume seems to have fell on stony ground. For christ sake we are a comfortable 5th doing better than we all imagined so lets get behind the lads and roar them on to at least a play off place at the end of the season. U.T.M.

re: Support from the North Stand

I blame not being able to stand :-)

I didn't know it was the sole responsibility of the north stand regulars to sing and encourage the team.If all stands sang and encouraged then the noise would be better.
    p.s. To be honest there wasn't that much to get excited at on Saturday.

I think saying it was abysmal is a bit harsh but I agree is wasn't great and I also agree with the post above that it should not be the sole responsibility of a few people in the North stand to create an atmosphere. But it is funny you mention the atmosphere as I had a big discussion about it at the weekend and I have a bit of a theory.

I sit in the North Stand, Fairly near the guys who do the majority of the singing. Where I sit everyone sings and joins in but unfortunately it doesn't happen usually unless one of the 2 "main" groups start. I doubt that will change and it's not ideal as it shouldn't be the responsibility of a few to start the songs as already stated but thats how it is.
    At the weekend I said to my cousin early on in the game that it seemed a really strange atmosphere and I also remembered saying that at the Crawley game to my Dad. In our time at the New York we have performed significantly better against the better teams when there has been a full house. If you look

Worst yet in my opinion. It was so quite I could hear the fat lad next door sucking the gravy from his pies

What about having a rave party, with a good DJ, (to wind them up),in the north concourse, one hour before kick off.Thats what they do at Feyenoord,and it works.

The majority of the chants are far too short, by the time the rest get motivated to join in, they're over.
    We have to work on the ones that repeat endlessly so people can join in and drop out then back in as it goes along.
    We still lack that elusive anthem, until we get a good un, we lack identity, my fav at the moment is Swansea with Land of my fathers

Suggestions on a postcard

Quote Originally Posted by Miller67
    The majority of the chants are far too short, by the time the rest get motivated to join in, they're over.
    We have to work on the ones that repeat endlessly so people can join in and drop out then back in as it goes along.
    We still lack that elusive anthem, until we get a good un, we lack identity, my fav at the moment is Swansea with Land of my fathers

I agree. We start a really good chant when we are pressing and win a corner. But it peters out before the corner is taken and the team need the noise most.

Suggestions on a postcard

Quote Originally Posted by mooniemiller
    What about having a rave party, with a good DJ, (to wind them up),in the north concourse, one hour before kick off.Thats what they do at Feyenoord,and it works.
    Nice idea, but the place is empty 1 hour before k-off. If they could relay it to the local pubs it would work!

In my younger days as a Tivoli singer we always knew what songs to sing at certain points I.e.

Start of game - Bachelor Boy
    When opponent keeper came to Tivoli end - wife's a slag
    Corners - come on you reds
    After half time - greasy chip butty
    90th minute - you'll never walk alone

I agree we need a few new songs, like the 'oh when the saints' recently, it starts off really slow version just needs to carry on slow a bit longer to get more and more joining in...

But new song contender

Allez Allez oh
    Allez Allez oh
    R U F C
    Steve's Red Army
    allez allez oh
    (Repeat)

As per Everton see link - view external link

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast