+ Visit West Ham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Pochettino and others...

Pochettino and others...

Always impresses me how foreign, recently retired players seem to just breeze into management and hit the ground running. They seem to be willing to put in the hard graft.

I wonder what Gary Neville or Alan Shearer would say if they were offered a job in Argentina at "Mendoza" ??

I'm still not sure whether the lack of younger, English ex-player managers plying their trade here or abroad is down to a lack of bottle/desire on their part (many seem to love the life of punditry) or simply because English ex-players just have a reputation (deserved or un-deserved) as being a bit sh1te?????

Of course there are still many British ex-players as managers in the Prem... but they are from a slightly older school. My points were more aimed at the more recent batch of retirees.

And ...you could also point to the Solsjkaer situation at Cardiff and say "one of our own could've done at least as good"... which does point to this obsession with all things foreign.

Thoughts ??

re: Pochettino and others...

Quote Originally Posted by Tone_Loc
    Always impresses me how foreign, recently retired players seem to just breeze into management and hit the ground running. They seem to be willing to put in the hard graft.

I wonder what Gary Neville or Alan Shearer would say if they were offered a job in Argentina at "Mendoza" ??

I'm still not sure whether the lack of younger, English ex-player managers plying their trade here or abroad is down to a lack of bottle/desire on their part (many seem to love the life of punditry) or simply because English ex-players just have a reputation (deserved or un-deserved) as being a bit sh1te?????
    think the punditry bit is down to the language mate, afterall we have moved on since Tottingham

and the quality of managers is largely down to their ability to work within a well financed Lge.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenhamJohn

think the punditry bit is down to the language mate, afterall we have moved on since Tottingham

and the quality of managers is largely down to their ability to work within a well financed Lge.[/quote]

Pochettino's English is practically non-existent.
    And Kenny Dalglish was even worse

I actually think pochettino is a below average manager who will be out of work within 12 months.

Quote Originally Posted by sir terence brown
    I actually think pochettino is a below average manager who will be out of work within 12 months.
    D minus.
    Someone's shoved a dog turd into your bait-box Lord Terence

and the quality of managers is largely down to their ability to work within a well financed Lge.[/quote]

Pochettino's English is practically non-existent.

D minus.
    Someone's shoved a dog turd into your bait-box Lord Terence[/quote]

Wait and see.
    lucky to be given a few good english kids.
    Who has he signed thats class?

Quite a few Southampton fans already want Pochettino out.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyV66
    Quite a few Southampton fans already want Pochettino out.
    Hmm... oh dear !!!

Maybe because back in the day ex players hadn't trousered enough wedge during their p[laying careers to ensure financial security for their families.

Today's top players can earn enough in a couple of seasons to set themselves up for life with the right financial advice.

If you don't need to work for the money would you want to stand in front of thousands of people who, if you lose a few games on the spin, will soon turn against you?

Which I think is pretty much what Andy Gray said when Sky offered him the big bucks to join them.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)