+ Visit Nottingham Forest FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How will Forest fans treat their own betting against them

How will Forest fans treat their own betting against them

And then boasting about it in forums? Worse, predicting failure at the start of the season, like relegation and then advising people to bet on just that?

And after all that, still claim to be a loyal fan, a season ticket holder and will follow Forest to the ends of the world?

I have been betting for nearly 30 years. I have never bet against Forest before a game or season. I have bet on Forest to win, but while watching it, have sometimes decided hey it looks a loser, best to protect my investment by taking the other team. So if they lost or won, at least I can recover the bet amount. Still it is the defeat that rankles me.

I have in the last 15 years or so even stopped this practise. I will no longer bet against them, instead go for the total goals scenario to recoup the investment. Or bet on the start on the total goals (Asian Handicap). In this way I can watch a Forest match, still egging them on to score. Or as is most normal, I avoid betting games in which I have less or no conf

re: How will Forest fans treat their own betting against them

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis
    I don't know, maybe I'm naive, maybe I'm thick.

Naive? Probably.
    Thick? Definitely.

It's not a difficult concept to understand that betting on something doesn't mean you actually want it to happen. It seems it's a bit too difficult for you though.

To answer your question I would guess the more intelligent Forest fans would understand that it is entirely possible to bet against your own team yet still want them to win, the less intelligent ones would probably share your view.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie
    I don't know, maybe I'm naive, maybe I'm thick.

Naive? Probably.
    Thick? Definitely.

It's not a difficult concept to understand that betting on something doesn't mean you actually want it to happen. It seems it's a bit too difficult for you though.

To answer your question I would guess the more intelligent Forest fans would understand that it is entirely possible to bet against your own team yet still want them to win, the less intelligent ones would probably share your view.[/quote]

Probably the most ridiculous comment i have ever heard. How can you possibly place a bet and then want to lose the bet? If you place money on a outcome, then you logically want that outcome. EP you are so up your own **** with regards to feeling the need to constantly take the higher ground,and give the impression that you are superior.

I am afraid the possibility of gaining money, is a stronger em

Quote Originally Posted by 45red
    How can you possibly place a bet and then want to lose the bet?

Easily. It's really not a hard thing to do at all.

I am afraid the possibility of gaining money, is a stronger emotion than winning a game.

Absolute rubbish. I can place a bet against Notts, then go to watch the game fervently hoping Notts win. I've been doing it for years. The thought of gaining a few quid will never, ever be more important than the result, it doesn't even get a second thought. It amazes me that some people can't grasp this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie

I am afraid the possibility of gaining money, is a stronger emotion than winning a game.

Absolute rubbish. I can place a bet against Notts, then go to watch the game fervently hoping Notts win. I've been doing it for years. The thought of gaining a few quid will never, ever be more important than the result, it doesn't even get a second thought. It amazes me that some people can't grasp this.[/quote]

Your wasting your time Elite, some people don't understand the concept of betting.

Quote Originally Posted by i961pie

Absolute rubbish. I can place a bet against Notts, then go to watch the game fervently hoping Notts win. I've been doing it for years. The thought of gaining a few quid will never, ever be more important than the result, it doesn't even get a second thought. It amazes me that some people can't grasp this.[/quote]

Your wasting your time Elite, some people don't understand the concept of betting.[/quote]

And some of us do and know it's a mugs game.
    Old habits, like mild, bingo, working mens clubs, whippets and grey hounds.
    Yes you Pies are a dying breed alright.

I wonder if Basie wi

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds
    And some of us do and know it's a mugs game.

It's only a mugs game if you're a mug.

I still maintain that if you are shrewd, disciplined and take advantage of all the online offers and bonuses, it's really not that difficult to make a modest profit.

I bet on something as a way of making it interesting - so I can get involved in something that otherwise I would have no passion toward.

For example, I watch Man City vs Sunderland, and I couldn't care less what happens. I bet on City to win 3-1 and that changes.

I don't have to do that when I watch forest, because I already more involved than money could ever make me.

I really don't care about money, it's more about the winning. So if I bet against Forest and we lose, I may gain A£xxx, but I still feel like a loser. So what's the point?

Probably the most ridiculous comment i have ever heard. How can you possibly place a bet and then want to lose the bet? If you place money on a outcome, then you logically want that outcome. EP you are so up your own **** with regards to feeling the need to constantly take the higher ground,and give the impression that you are superior.

I am afraid the possibility of gaining money, is a stronger emotion than winning a game, hense the reason gambling can be an addiction.
    Exactly, I'm not talking about placing 5 quid on a game or 5 quid on an exotic bet that pays out 100-1.

In the Asian market we play the handicap, it's a 1 on 1 thing. I have bet up to $10,000 local money here (which is around $7-8000 Euros.

Even the lowest bet is around $150 Euros.

It's 1 thing to place 5 quid on game and say it's okay I lost too bad, but when you bet heavily, the result matters above anything. Imagine if I got $5000 on Wigan last Saturday, do y

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis
    So dont come out with some ridiculous statement about betting against the club you support, saying you can be happy when they win and you lose the bet. Unless you're the 5 quid guy, serious bettors don't ever use this stupid logic.

I am the 5 quid guy. I very rarely bet big. Most of my bets are two quid, fivers and tenners. I think the biggest bet I have ever had was 200 quid. Betting is a hobby to me, I don't rely on it for income at all. It's really just a bit of fun. Saying that, I still like to take a thoughtful approach to it. Value is the key. I don't always bet against Notts, I'll bet on whatever result offers I feel offers value or have no bet at all. If my bet ever became anywhere near as important as the result of the match I know it would be time to quit.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast