+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Interesting Statistics (to me)

Interesting Statistics (to me)

I always loved statistics as a child, probably because baseball was/is soaked in them, and I found some odd statistics while scrolling through the results of the 92 teams that make up the top four leagues in English Football.

Three losses: Chelsea, Burnley;
    Four losses: Wolves, Preston, S****horpe;
    Four wins: Baggies!

What I find an anomaly is that while Chelsea is first in the Prem, Burnley is only second, a full ten points behind Leicester who have 5 losses.

Wolves have only 4 losses and are in first, while Preston with 4 losses as well are in fourth; S****horpe, with four losses as well are tied for 2nd/3r4 one point from the top of the table.

WBA have won only 4 of 27 games this season (the fewest of the 92 clubs) but are not in the relegation zone. The three clubs below them have a combined total of 17 wins. What WBA have though are a total of 13 draws on the season, the three clubs below them have a combined number of 13 draws as well. So other than the power and importance

re: Interesting Statistics (to me)

Interesting to me also, Tundra. I had already 'clocked' that lot, but still interesting Stuff.

You might be interested in my last two entries on the Wolves thread!

"Regarding Tundra's comments about statistics in another thread, I have found that the champions of any of the major Leagues seem to have a run of at least six successive wins during their season. Whatever happens at Walsall, at least we have surpassed that! "

Good point, Wokes! Usually a run of victories is required to distant oneself from the other clubs near the top who have visions of glory. BTW, two years ago at this point in time we were starting out a string of seven successive defeats at the hands of TC which led us straight into relegation!

I was really surprised by the Baggies' club low of 4 victories; maybe my surprise was compounded by the periodic bouts of optimism emanating from their board. Still, to think a club could actually entertain avoiding relegation with only 4 wins in 27 matches...quite remarkable! We'll see how this plays out over the next couple of months!

Good stats mate.

With reference to the Wolves defence winning leagues.

I always refer to Mr Clough on this one.

He used to say Strikers win games but defences win leagues.

So true.

Very true, Dunst!

I am reminded of the sports axiom on this side of the pond:

"Offence for show, Defence for dough!"

Interesting stats there Tundra. Ones i always look at are goals conceded, since last win and since last defeat.

Wolves defence this season has proved so far that they don't give much away, in front of them, goals have been shared around the team.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)