+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Team for Saturday..

Team for Saturday..

Does RB stick with the class acts he put out Monday..or does he slot Alfei and Brennan back in...It will be interesting to see how he sets us out Saturday...one things foe sure,no more sitting back and and being defensive...Attack from the start,it seems to be quite effective.

re: Team for Saturday..

I think with the points gap increasing he can now afford to take a few more gambles and go more attacking.

With us now looking safer from relegation its a chance to start looking to next season and what can be done.

He was blaming the FP pitch after the Chesterfield match as to why he couldn't play like that at home. Apparently the Chesterfield pitch is the best in the division and allows for a passing game. I don't know what to think about that statement apart from Derby County, 1972, Archie Gemmill, Kevin Hector, Alan Durban and Alan Hinton were playing a championship-winning passing game on a pitch that resembled the Somme.

Whatever the excuse about the pitch there is no reason not to play that high tempo game that worked so well and made us look like a completely different side from the nervy, sluggish, low key performances we have been mostly watching this season. He should pick the same side - they earnt the right at another shot at it.

They raised the bar on Monday so putting in a below par performance would be letting themselves down for starters. The Fratton pitch is being blamed for the bad football at home - but 100% commitment is a must.

If Alfei returns from the u21 game fit, I'd expect him to play. Nice for RB to have the selection posers he has at the moment

hasn't RB said it was to early for devera but needs must,[had a good game]but like ldb I expect alfei to return,also drennan to go back to two up top,cannot see him playing one at home,i think padovani could make way,be interesting anyway,play up pompey

Quote Originally Posted by Corkhead
    He was blaming the FP pitch after the Chesterfield match as to why he couldn't play like that at home. Apparently the Chesterfield pitch is the best in the division and allows for a passing game. I don't know what to think about that statement apart from Derby County, 1972, Archie Gemmill, Kevin Hector, Alan Durban and Alan Hinton were playing a championship-winning passing game on a pitch that resembled the Somme.

Whatever the excuse about the pitch there is no reason not to play that high tempo game that worked so well and made us look like a completely different side from the nervy, sluggish, low key performances we have been mostly watching this season. He should pick the same side - they earnt the right at another shot at it.
    Regarding the pitch... Championship winning passing game vs a league two side, I think that explains why you cant compare the two teams ability to play the same way

You have to allow for the relative state of the pitches to offset player abilities. The Baseball Ground was an unplayable swamp most of the time compared to a fairly decent playing surface at Fratton by the standards of 40 years ago, so it my view it does bear comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Corkhead
    You have to allow for the relative state of the pitches to offset player abilities. The Baseball Ground was an unplayable swamp most of the time compared to a fairly decent playing surface at Fratton by the standards of 40 years ago, so it my view it does bear comparison.
    Just a thought but was the ball heavier back then and less likely to bounce off a divot like a balloon?

Carson

Alfei
    Devera
    Chorley
    Shorey

Wallace
    Padovani
    Diagarouga
    Holmes

Jervis
    Drennan

Can't see Barker sticking to one up front at home against mid-table opposition. Need to go for the jugular.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)