+ Visit Southampton FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Morgan for England ?

Morgan for England ?

It might not have been Clyne or any of our current crop of internationals that Hodgson came to cast his beady eye over on Saturday (STL). If it was Schneiderlin, then the England chief can't have been anything but mightily impressed..

It was probably just a matter of time anyway and, if Morgan really was ready to turn his back on his country of birth, it would be France's loss and to England's [significant] gain.

Personally (and as much as I know he'd been an asset to England), he's a proud Frenchman and I hope his mother country offers him the recognition he so rightly deserves and gives him a call-up in the very near future. - view external link

re: Morgan for England ?

I would love to see him gain full international recognition. I can't understand why Deschamps continues to overlook him. Maybe because he plays his football in England for a club other than Newcastle or Arsenal.

So apparently he can't play for England anyway - same rule as was with Arteta. Something might have changed though if Costa's allowed to play for Spain??!

The problem relates to article 18 of the Fifa statutes governing the circumstances under which a "dual national" can switch countries. Article 18.1a stipulates that any player who wants to switch to the second of his dual nationalities must have held that second nationality at the time he represented his original country at junior or under-21 level.

Another one to come through your academy? Fair play if so.

Unfortunately not, but he's been with us since 18 so big part of his development!!

Quote Originally Posted by RICKYwillTAKEusUP
    Unfortunately not, but he's been with us since 18 so big part of his development!!
    From that age i would agree Ricky.
    I might be a pain sometimes but i do recognise the saints academy as one of the best out there.

Quote Originally Posted by RICKYwillTAKEusUP
    So apparently he can't play for England anyway - same rule as was with Arteta. Something might have changed though if Costa's allowed to play for Spain??!
    Even if he was to circumvent the FIFA Statute, isn't there an agreement between the home nations regarding the naturalisation of 'foreign' players ?

Either way, I'd be surprised if Morgan, Lallana, et al weren't up to speed with the relevant rules and regs so perhaps this is little more than a gentle poke / reminder to Deschamps.