+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Corners and crosses

Corners and crosses

Having recently lost Waggy,one of the finest crossers and corner takers, it shows how good he was when you watch the pathetic efforts of so many in the game today. Overhitt, underhit,
    no power,more like lobs to no one,what the hell do they practice all week?
    I know I was brought up with other super wingers who could centre a ball ie Jimmy Mullen,Johnny Hancocks,Norman Deeley,Alan Hinton and Terry Wharton but they all realised a quality cross could mean danger in the box. It hasn't altered so why the lack of quality these days?

re: Corners and crosses

Greystone, as another old timer I have to agree with much off what you say. Not to mention that they were playing, often with a heavy leather ball that was laced up.

For about four and a half seasons now, I have had the same seat in the upper Steve Bull. I look down onto the penalty area in front of the South Bank. I have lost count of the times I have said to my son or grandson, that we over hit corners and never have anyone at the back between the penalty area and the touchline.

Time and again the ball clears the melee in the middle and goes out for a throw on the opposite side.

Last Saturday as Sako readied himself to put the corner in, McDonald ambled out towards him. Immediately two Shrewsbury defenders followed him, reducing the bodies in the middle by three, one in favour of us. If we put a player into the area I am talking about, the opposition may/will pull two players out to mark him expecting some pre planned move. Again this will have the same effect on the middle wi

I have not been able to watch many games obviously, but it is something I have noticed every time I have. Might be best to just play it in short to someone, switch sides of the field, get the defense moving, then cross it in. But I'm no footy tactician so maybe this is tomfoolery

The delivery from corners on Saturday were poor, rarely beating the first man, or completely over hit. Also as already pointed out, played short, but as soon as it was, they closed down by the opposition.

I agree with all that you say, Greystone and Abbo. If they do any work on corners in training, it doesn't seem to show on the pitch. Over the years, I have seen us, on occasions, play against teams where the threat from corners was such that we kept praying that that they wouldn't get another one.

It's not just us though, it is rare to see teams these days which carry a constant and serious threat from corners, even at the highest level.

The art of crossing the ball is a dying one for sure. I have just been watching some Wolves highlights on YouTube and the 4-3 against Leicester was among them.

Dennis Irwin stood out as a great crosser of the ball.

You do not need to be a NASA scientist to know that you can jump higher if you have a running start, than if you jump from a standstill.

Some years ago now, we were playing at home and a certain Vinnie Jones was in the opposition. Contrary to popular belief, Vinnie is not as tall as David Beckham so no giant, although a physical player.

As the corner taker hit the ball, Vinnie started his run from out of the area, In his way was the six foot plus figure of Neil Emblem, no problem, as Jones made headed contact with the ball he smashed Emblem out of the way and the ball finished in the back of the net.

Another good exponent of this technique is John Terry, who has scored some great headed goals for both club and country.

As I have stated, a corner should be an advantage to the attacking side, but if all the players are dodging around the six yard area it is difficult to get up and make proper contact.

Danny Bath should be on the score sheet nearly every game with his height, but

In chats with Waggy he used to say best to put in outswingers as this meant it was always going away from the goalie and defenders so difficult to judge but equally it was coming towards the attackers and if they hit it the impact meant the ball rocketing goalwards.QED

I agree- for some reason we're poor from corners. Every time we get one I think it's time for Danny to grab a goal- every time I'm disappointed. Poor delivery or lack of height in the box (other than Danny)- not sure but I wish we'd address it

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)