+ Visit Arbroath FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If the unthinkable happens and

re: If the unthinkable happens

Oops, sorry, it is 7 wins. I tend to lose count if I have to count on more than one hand. Don't think it makes much difference to the end of season situation though.
    Hope we give Rangers a game tomorrow, not expecting to take any points from them but would be good to put in a good effort and not give away too many goals.

I am behind Mr; Refhater all the way about Sheerin and our results and displays this season.For him to be retained as the manager of A.F.C. should we be relegated is un-thinkable and I for one will be selective in the games I would attend next season.
    Regretfully I am now at the stage where all my enthusiasm and appetite for watching A.F.C. this season has been knocked out of me by insipid and lacklustre displays orchestrated by the manager and his head in the sand approach.
    I recently spoke to a respected professional player who has great respect for A.F.C. and mentioned the managers comments regards Chisholm being a great captain in the dressing room.He replied that in all his days of playing this did not win games but what happened on the park was what mattered and the captain should lead by example.I cannot re-call this occurring in any game this season.
    Concerning those supporters who continually ask who would we get if the manager is sacked,then you have only to read the reports

[quote="housecaptain"]I am behind Mr; Refhater all the way about Sheerin and our results and displays this season.For him to be retained as the manager of A.F.C. should we be relegated is un-thinkable and I for one will be selective in the games I would attend next season.
    Regretfully I am now at the stage where all my enthusiasm and appetite for watching A.F.C. this season has been knocked out of me by insipid and lacklustre displays orchestrated by the manager and his head in the sand approach.
    I recently spoke to a respected professional player who has great respect for A.F.C. and mentioned the managers comments regards Chisholm being a great captain in the dressing room.He replied that in all his days of playing this did not win games but what happened on the park was what mattered and the captain should lead by example.I cannot re-call this occurring in any game this season.
    Concerning those supporters who continually ask who would we get if the manager

With the fifers result last week I think that is us doomed. I am, however, strongly opposed to changing the manager. Nothing to do with past glory, but I have never thought the instability caused by changing helps. This is the first bad season PS/SP have had and they will learn from it. I believe they should be given that chance. Plus, they have the experience of getting out of the third division. They have done it and know what it takes. They have made mistakes, bad signings etc. and they have had bad luck, last second hitting the bar v airdrie, the post v stenny, etc but we are where we are because we have not played well enough all over the park. They will learn from this, and I believe they will get us back up should the nearly inevitable happen. They've won the third before. They know how to. Don't knee jerk, it usually doesn't make things better.

I think we should remain loyal to Paul Sheerin for at least one more season .

He deserves the fan's backing for the previous success he has brought to the club .

Arbroath are also a club with roots firmly in the local community and should not be jumping on the managerial merry go round - Arbroath are better than this.

Paul Sheerin also has a proven tracj record of winning promotion from the 3rd Division - it could be argued he is better experienced than other managers in Div 3.

I think the management team deserve and have earned another season at Gayfield.

We also still have an opportunity to avoid relegation - lets rally round and support the players, management and the club.

There are pro's and cons in both sets of opinions. The first is the financial implications of terminating his contract now and the compensation which would be required for PS to be persuaded to leave now. With 1 year left on his contract this could be substantial. Notwithstanding this , would a new manager be the catalyst to rejuvenate us and maybe preserve our stay in this division? Imo it is too late for changing managers at this late stage of the season. We are not relegated yet and PS might with a lot of luck keep us in this division albeit it seems unlikely with the breaks continually going against us. If we do go down will it be a big financial drop, will the crowds drop or will it bring back support if we are challenging for the title? As mentioned above, as fans we are all disappointed with this season and it is the first bad season of Sheerin's reign. When you elect to support a club like ours then you take the rough with the smooth. It is relatively easy to pull on a Rangers

Good post maroonie and a lot of sense in it.

If we do go down then imo PS/SP deserve a chance to get us back up next season at the very least up to December.

As has been said they have the players backing so if he managed to keep main players like Linn/McManus/Nicoll/Travis etc then that would be a great start to our squad add to that the Doc (who once fit I am convinced he will score goals) and maybe Banjo/Little/Hammy/Morrison/Wood your are on your way to a good squad.

Regardless who the Manager is I will stick with MY team through thick and thin so those so-called Red Lichties fans who will not come back if PS/SP are in charge then good riddance imo as there have been plenty Managers in the past who I never rated but I still supported MY team.

I suppose they can jump on the bandwagon and go to Tannadump or pick a O/F team to support

Support the Red Lichties.

All this talk of picking and choosing games and not attending matches due to opposition to the management seems utterly alien to me.

I have my opinions on our management, players, committee and whatever like everyone else, but irrelevent of that I support Arbroath football club, and when I am free and can afford to attend (luckily for me I am in a position where both are possible every Saturday) I will be there.

I can fully understand the frustrations and disappointment at this seasons performances, I feel exactly the same way myself, but I genuinely can't understand how someone could go from travelling the length and breadth of the country to support their club then deciding due to their opinion of one member of staff that they won't be attending any games the next season.

Quote Originally Posted by AFC1320
    Support the Red Lichties.
    This. Every hour, every day, every week, every match for ever. C'mon lichties for life.

It is quite a modern thing that clubs change managers so often, up until very recently it was the very much the norm that clubs were relegated or went through bad runs of form and managers remained in charge and were given a chance to put things right

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)