+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Match Yesterday

Match Yesterday

Am I right in saying there was one ?

This must be a record that, by this time , there has been no specific thread to comment - other than 'Footymad Official'.

We are still in 4th but no-one seems that bothered.

You can be sure that there will be no shortage of comment - negative - if we finish 5th or below.

re: Match Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by nithvalley

This must be a record that, by this time , there has been no specific thread to comment - other than 'Footymad Official'.

You can be sure that there will be no shortage of comment - negative - if we finish 5th or below.
    Not quite true NV. I tried numerous times to log in and start a match thread but the gremlins wrre winning . This site has a few problems in the technical side .

Yes not much interest on yesterday's game and also for a team challenging for a play - off spot the attendance dropped to 1,487. Annan Athletic were the same their crowd also decreasing despite them being second in their league.

That there is no comment probably reflects that it was a bit of a nothing game yesterday: a comfortable (in the end), but uninspiring, win against a team that is destined to be relegated. I didn't hear who won the man-of-the-match award but I'd probably have given to the wee boy who came out of his goal to score the winner at half-time. OK. It probably wasn't quite as bad as that but I am sure you'll get my drift.
    It is quite sad, however, that we are in an interesting tussle for a play-off place for promotion to the Premiership and we can't attract a crowd of 1500 for a game we were expecting to win. However, if you think that that is bad have a look at Hamilton Accies who are sitting at the top of the league and who are challenging for automatic promotion. They couldn't attract 1000 to their mid-week match last week and they couldn't carry a big enough away support to raise the attendance at Cowdenbeath yesterday to 500.
    All this begs the question, "Can any Championship team, other t

Quote Originally Posted by nithvalley

At least it gave you some material to have the usual dig with..

The crowd was disappointing yesterday but its hardly unexpected.The crowds last season never really matched the fare on offer.What can we do?
    The game yesterday was never really a challenge from the moment Higgins buried his header.Morton were no team fighting relegation.They had too many youngsters,too soft and hindered by their manager's tactics.His play from the back might be the way forward in the long run and they might canter back up the Leagues but they are a pitiful outfit at the moment not ready for his ideas.
    The young sub striker 17 was there only bright moment with at least movement and making runs and Imrie's industry despite his tendency to take a tumble.O'connor was simply not fit and injuries have obviously caught up with Robertson.Cracking save from the keeper with his face from a corner and from McHughs late volley.
    Best for Queens were pinpoint Mitchell,Burns and Reilly.McShane and Kerr worked hard but again were wayward and slow in possession.Paton and Lyle wer

[quote="qosdreamer"]The crowd was disappointing yesterday but its hardly unexpected.The crowds last season never really matched the fare on offer.What can we do?
    The game yesterday was never really a challenge from the moment Higgins buried his header.Morton were no team fighting relegation.They had too many youngsters,too soft and hindered by their manager's tactics.His play from the back might be the way forward in the long run and they might canter back up the Leagues but they are a pitiful outfit at the moment not ready for his ideas.
    The young sub striker 17 was there only bright moment with at least movement and making runs and Imrie's industry despite his tendency to take a tumble.O'connor was simply not fit and injuries have obviously caught up with Robertson.Cracking save from the keeper with his face from a corner and from McHughs late volley.
    Best for Queens were pinpoint Mitchell,Burns and Reilly.McShane and Kerr worked hard but again were w

Queens always looked in control in Saturday, and it is perhaps the first time this season that I felt completely confident that we weren't going to do anything other than win the game.

My only gripe is this: Why, oh why did Mr. McIntyre not bring on the young Lewis Kidd to see what he was capable of? We are fully aware of Bob McHugh's and Steve McKenna's abilities (or otherwise) but we have no idea of how Kidd might cope with this level of football. With the real potential of some crazy matches ahead in a frantic finish to the season, it would have been sensible to see what he could do when the game was sown up at 2-0.

The introduction of Russell however was a good one, as we had no penetration on the left side with Holt also benched, and his incisive running led to the 3rd goal, (albeit from a great reverse pass from McHugh)

~
    With regards to the crowd numbers, - I'm afraid that we will have to accept 1500 as being our base level. However, there are a couple of things that can b

You'll be lucky if there's a Dumfries Saturday Amateur league next season Jardi . There's only 7 teams in it this season & one is only seeing the season out before folding

As for early kickoffs , you'll find many people working overtime on Saturday mornings & probably wouldn't be able to make 12 noon games

On the subject of crowds here's a few starts from the last few seasons

2011/12 - average 1550 ( 1266 home fans & 284 away fans ) Relegation
    2012/13 - average 1658 ( 1605 home fans & 53 away fans ) Promotion
    2013/14 - average 1702 ( 1525 home fans & 177 away fans ) Play-off place - 2 games remaining

Despite being in a better league this season the home numbers have slightly fallen .

Queens managed approx 1,900 home fans through the gate for the Dundee game in August but could only get 1400 through the gates on Saturday against Morton .

The fans are out there it's trying to keep them coming back through the gates on a regular basis that's the problem

Have to admit I thought the attendances would of been better not only this season but especially last season when we broke all records going .

Crowds throughout Scotland have dipped though , maybe people are just bored of what's on offer or the don't think it value for money anymore

You're right Jardi , our hardcore is approx 1,500 which isn't too bad considering most of the crowds in the bottom 3 leagues . Just wish more people from Dumfries should more of an interest to their home team

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)