+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Martin

Chris Martin

I add my congratulations to Chris for achieving the 20 goal milestone we as Derby fans have waited so long for.
    However should we be already thinking about wrapping him up in cotton wool and bubble wrap IF a playoff spot is gained over the next two or three games.
    I think within the current squad, he is absolutely pivotal in our forward play. Pretty irreplaceable in my mind.
    A Blackpool player went through him tonight and for a few seconds, I thought he'd been crocked. I immediately thought "what would we do".
    I reckon he's the player we'd miss more than any other.
    Thoughts??

re: Chris Martin

yep he's integral to our game. Id rest him for a week or 2 now. We need to go into the play offs on form though so bring him back for the run in.

He would have had an amazing season even if he had only scored 5 goals! The guy has incredible ball control, and when the ball is played into him it just seems to stick to his boot. The little flicks and through balls he plays are very clever. If he was a bit taller or a bit quicker he would be playing at the very top in my opinion. Why Norwich let him go on a free I will never know. May he is only just maturing as a player I dunno, but it amazes me that he was rotting in the Norwich reserves.

Great to see a Ram's striker getting to 20 again. Well done Chris Martin, not only has he got the goals but he's integral to our system and style of play.

This is the problem we now face. We pretty much in the play offs but at such an early point. How do we rest players to avoid injury, yet give them enough games to keep them sharp?

Also if we start resting players the rest of the team will suffer as we still have a pretty thin squad. The worst thing for me is if we rest players and start struggling with form and confidence dips. We would then go into the play offs on the back foot.

Mac's got some big calls to make in the coming weeks.

I don't want to sound awfully petty but for me he needs to get 3 more goals before I can put him in the "20 goals" category.

Love his style of play and how pivotal he is to the team, don't get me wrong, but I always look at league goals as being the yard stick!

Martin 17
    Bryson 16

Just so it doesn't seem as though I'm being pessimistic, I'll compare him with previous strikers.

2013/14* - Chris Martin 17 from 40
    2013/14* - Craig Bryson 16 from 40
    2010/11 - Kris Commons 13 from 26
    2008/09 - Rob Hulse 15 from 44
    2006/07 - Steve Howard 16 from 43**
    2004/05 - Grzegorz Rasiak 16 from 35**
    1997/98 - Paulo Wanchope 13 from 32
    1995/96 - Dean Sturridge 20 from ??

* - Season still ongoing
    ** - excluding play-off games
    ?? - can't find the information available online to see how many games he played.

So hats off to him for being our highest scorer since Dean Sturridge I say! But I really hope he gets 3 more.

He said in an interview last night his highest "total" was 23 for Norwich is

Agreed well done Chris Martin he been CLASS this season FACT. He was QAULITY last night

For me he's my favourite striker for years. Maybe since the baiano wanchope sturridge days. I rate him over howard, hulse and even Porter

It's his touches and lay offs that have won me over. He's so strong but he caresses the ball and has the vision to do something with it, perfectly fitting our fast, free flowing football. His triangles with bryson and hughes and ward etc are a joy. And then he bangs in the goals too, tap ins, headers, long range,free kicks...everything.

Quote Originally Posted by triz
    For me he's my favourite striker for years. Maybe since the baiano wanchope sturridge days. I rate him over howard, hulse and even Porter .
    Just wondering whether it was significant that you didn't mention Mikkel Beck in your striker review triz?

In fairness I agree with your view, although I was a fan of Rasiak. He had a similar lynch pin style impact on Burleys team in 2004/5 as Martin is having now.

Chris Porter

Ah the natural successor to the laudrups, how could i forget him. He was even my avatar for a short while. Ok martin is my favourite striker since beck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)