+ Visit Nottingham Forest FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: God Save the Queen

God Save the Queen

Elizabeth Alexandra Mary

b. 21st April 1926 - vivat

Her Majesty Elizabeth II of York, Duchess of Edinburgh, The Lord Mann, Duke of Lancaster, Defender of the Faith, Sovereign and Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and her other realms and territories.

'Thy choicest gifts in store, on her be pleased to pour.
    Long may she reign.
    May she defend our Laws and ever give us cause, to sing with heart and voice:
    God Save the Queen'

re: God Save the Queen

That song has always confused me a bit. What exactly is God supposed to save her from?

It seems to me there are a few million around the world who need it a bit more than she does.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie
    That song has always confused me a bit. What exactly is God supposed to save her from?

It seems to me there are a few million around the world who need it a bit more than she does.
    I think it's 2 prong;

1) Save actually refers to safety. Keeping her healthy and safe from harm.And she is the point figure for citizens to keep the country safe by defending it.

2) Save means ensuring she reigns wisely. Safe from making mistakes that tarnishes the Crown and Country. Safe in performing her role, not to take sides but to be the final arbitrator to break deadlocks. And to ensure the Laws are upheld when a 'rogue Govt' takes power. Perhaps only she can save us from tyranny.

I know some republicans cannot fathom the idea that 1 gets born into luxury and privilege while the rest have to slog and earn it.

But on the other side, it's good to have 1 who's above the political fray. Who being unelected, doesn't concern herself with doing things merely to ensure re-election.

Or by coming from the electoral process the Head of State also is political figure thus losing her neutrality somewhat when a political crisis arises.

And the sovereign reigns because of her subjects and for them. The Queen is the symbol of unity or the 1 representative of the nation as a whole.

It's a system that has worked well here and in her other dominions. I see no reason to change it. In fact for countries like Canada, NZ and Australia, all the better to have her as Queen. The Governor-Generals represent her, but they too in turn serve at her pleasure. Irresponsible GGs can be removed through her, without a political or constitutional crisis.

Rubbish, this is the national anthem. - view external link

I love the queen , and I respect Harry and William a lot. As I married a French woman (like all good noble Englishman ) I now live in France, however on my wall which has been with me since I was 17 is a big framed photo of the queen, and another one of Winston Churchill

God save the queen.

God save the Queen? When he's saved starving third world children and kids abused by his followers maybe.

In fact, if he's got a 'people to save' list, I hope a wealthy pampered octogenarian is right near the bottom.

God save the Queen? When he's saved starving third world children and kids abused by his followers maybe.

In fact, if he's got a 'people to save' list, I hope a wealthy pampered octogenarian is right near the bottom.
    therefor your beef is with God not the queen EP ?

So God's a he is he?
    I'm sure that's a well rehe****d Catholic doctrine and many others.

The greeks, romans,egyptians, had different gender gods. We settle for one god and decide that it's a he?

***ism, Basies favourite subject

Quote Originally Posted by 45red
    therefor your beef is with God not the queen EP ?

Mainly. It amazes me that people still believe there is a God, whether a he, she, or it. I can understand it in the dark ages when science was in it's infancy and it might have seemed the most likely explanation, but surely not in this day and age.

As for the Queen, probably a nice lady who's given good service, but I can't agree with the principle of a Royal Family.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast