+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Today's debacle

Today's debacle

As a Motherwell fan of 50 years,[and a Well Society member] I've rarely been so disappointed with the team as I was today. In fact I left early before Lionel's goal... which is something I've rarely if ever done in all these years. I just hope the lack of effort [ that's how it seemed to me] was only a blip as we'll have to do much better to keep our current 3rd spot never mind try to win 2nd!!!!

re: Today's debacle

Quote Originally Posted by blackie1204
    As a Motherwell fan of 50 years,[and a Well Society member] I've rarely been so disappointed with the team as I was today. In fact I left early before Lionel's goal... which is something I've rarely if ever done in all these years. I just hope the lack of effort [ that's how it seemed to me] was only a blip as we'll have to do much better to keep our current 3rd spot never mind try to win 2nd!!!!
    The tactics and team selection today were desperate we had no width and no one who could hold the ball up. Boot long all day , no wonder we got fpuck all.

[no body]

Holy God, why in christs did I go to Tannadice? it was still feckin winter up there today and the team were just truly awful. How easy is it for players to run the length of the park against us and end it with a goal.

Quote Originally Posted by "steviex" date="18:59 on 26 Apr
    a
    The tactics and team selection today were desperate we had no width and no one who could hold the ball up. Boot long all day , no wonder we got fpuck all.
    That was the crux of our problem. SM can blame the players all he likes but we were a beaten side at 2.30. The team line up was selected to try to negate United in that it was too defensive and the midfield was all wrong. It was unbalanced, involved players out of position, lacked pace, and lacked in creativity. Why then did we try to play attacking football so high up the park. After about 10/15 minutes many fans including me were calling for an early change in personnel - it was that obvious we'd got it badly wrong. However we had to wait until half time, by which time the game was well and truly lost before any changes were made, and even then the changes were not totally correct.

Fraser Kerr should have been hooked early on and John Sutton taken off at half time - si

Quote Originally Posted by "Wellup4it"18:59 on 26 Apr
    a
    That was the crux of our problem. SM can blame the players all he likes but we were a beaten side at 2.30. The team line up was selected to try to negate United in that it was too defensive and the midfield was all wrong. It was unbalanced, involved players out of position, lacked pace, and lacked in creativity. Why then did we try to play attacking football so high up the park. After about 10/15 minutes many fans including me were calling for an early change in personnel - it was that obvious we'd got it badly wrong. However we had to wait until half time, by which time the game was well and truly lost before any changes were made, and even then the changes were not totally correct.

Fraser Kerr should have been hooked early

[quote="steviex" date="23:05 on 26 Apr

No we need to address the defence as a matter of urgency too. [/quote]

At the second goal we only left 2 defenders back to mark 2 attackers and quite a few fans were screaming at McCall and Lasley to bring a 3rd body back but that didn't happen. That was the root cause of that goal.

Quote Originally Posted by "Wellup4it"23:05 on 26 Apr

No we need to address the defence as a matter of urgency too. [/quote

At the second goal we only left 2 defenders back to mark 2 attackers and quite a few fans were screaming at McCall and Lasley to bring a 3rd body back but that didn't happen. That was the root cause of that goal.
    I may be mixing up the second and the third. However im sure it was the 2nd. At the 2nd the root cause of the 2nd goal was hutchison being a t1t and not passing the ball to hammel whilst he was near enough on the half way line. That allowed Utd free possession to race up the park and whilst hutchison was still standing on the halway line the defence only had two back to cover. Hutchison caused it cos he needlessly gave away possession when we were pressing at the half way line.

Anyway its immaterial we had 5 sh1te goals to choose from and another 54 over the season to realise how good we are at defending.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)