+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Ratings v Oldham

Ratings v Oldham

The first observation is why did it take us so long to show any fight? It was only in the last 15 or so minutes when, as a team, we showed any commitment - you'd never have thought in the first 75 minutes that we were fighting to stay in the division - with a couple of exceptions. Robson did not look fit and why did he come on for Novo after only 10 mins? Why did he start with Novo anyway? Why, when we were desperate for an equaliser did he not bring Miller on? Kavanagh failed to answer any of these questions in his interview and was churlish when James Phillips asked the question we all wanted to know the answer to - would he resign if we got relegated?

Pickford 7 not much to do but did what he had to. Won more headers than Amoo
    Symington 7 had a very good second half, got forward, showed commitment, put in a couple of good crosses ( and a couple of poor ones )
    O'Hanlon 4 did his best but beginning to look his age
    Brown 4 OK defensively apart from their goal but when he went forward

re: Ratings v Oldham

Whilst I can't say I enjoyed reading your comments, I have to thank you for taking the time to prepare them, and accept then as a honest judgement from a person with similar experience and age to myself.
    I look forward to reading your comment next season when United race through the second div, and get back into the 1st Div.
    Cheers mate

1954 good post again. My thoughts on a depressing but now not surprising performance is that Kavanagh and Irons are just not up to the job. Their sole requirement was to keep us up and they have failed. You are right to suggest what the board will do and what they have not done ie recruit a proper manager. However, the only question that needs to be posed regarding Kavanagh is has he given any indication he could get in the right players and organise them to make a challenge next year. IMO he hasn't. We need someone with experience to get us out of Lge 2. Kavanagh's success organisationally is at best patchy. He blames every one but himself for the failure but the number of players used says everything about his inability to manage the talent pool available.

Regarding ratings I would go along with 1954 on most. I would however give Brown 6 and Amoo 5. Reason being that Brown was generally our best defender and Amoo showed on a few occasions he was prepared to take on the defence but

We were ****e from back to front. There was no movement, there wasn't a single player who took any responsibility, and we just jogged through the game as if we were the team who were safe in mid table.

The initial team selection was foolish, knowing how they were likely to be set up and meant we had absolutely no width at all. Oldham were able to exploit that at will, even though they weren't really that interested. Taking off Novo never worked because Robson was so obviously unfit and it did nothing for the shape of our team anyway. Matching them up in the second half was a better decision, but the players just didn't respond and we were pedestrian and pathetic on the ball.

Very few players have come out of the last 3 months with any credit at all, they have been a disgrace to the club and the fans who have to pay to watch that ****e. I have fully expected relegation for quite some time now, so am used to the idea and therefore not as p

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)