+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Dundee United - 24h on

Dundee United - 24h on

No doubt there will be some heart searching following that thumping but the we need to move on. The next game is the one that matters. - view external link

re: Dundee United - 24h on

SM needs to sit his coaches & defenders down this afternoon and watch a dvd of how Chelsea defended against Liverpool. Probably the best strike force in the EPL and they never got a sniff.
    Defending is not that difficult, even with average players, as the strikers in our league are not world beaters either. However, you need the guys to know their job, and not go missing.
    What D Utd have done to us this season is frankly disgraceful.

Quote Originally Posted by elf
    SM needs to sit his coaches & defenders down this afternoon and watch a dvd of how Chelsea defended against Liverpool. Probably the best strike force in the EPL and they never got a sniff.
    Defending is not that difficult, even with average players, as the strikers in our league are not world beaters either. However, you need the guys to know their job, and not go missing.
    What D Utd have done to us this season is frankly disgraceful.
    If it were only Dundee Utd. Utd account for 16 of our shocking 59 against that still leaves plenty to be explained away. What the fpuck do the defence work on in training.

The defence are accountable. Personally I believe we need a keeper who communicates and orders the defence around. They don't need to be the best shot stopper but someone who commands.

Individually we have an OK defence but a pi55 poor unit.

Before Stuart tears into the players he needs to sit down with Kenny Black to discuss where they went wrong in terms of team selection and tactics.

Absolutely right,JWOK. There was little to enthuse over on Saturday - since when should a Bovril be AŁ2.20! - but it's over and done with. As we all know, the table doesn't lie. Well, have a look at it. We need to set about staying in the position we're in, and that means putting a painful Saturday behind us and putting in a shift next weekend. As I said on another thread, I wasn't over - optimistic about getting any points from the first two games! Aberdeen have to play Utd.; both of them have to play Celtic. The door is still open for at least third, and possibly for a grandstand finish at Pittodrie.
    C'mon the 'Well!

A result that is worse than not turning up (3-0) is not acceptable. I don't mind losing a game, and i don't mind players making errors. What i do mind is the SAME errors causing the SAME defeats time and again.

I question if the team de-brief in any sort of constructive manner? if they do, then it's not serving it's purpose of helping the players learn from mistakes. Or the players are incapable of taking on what's said and improve their game, in which case they should be dropped at the end of the season. I'm not looking for "world beaters", but having a GA stat which is 1 off 12th place is not on. There must be a better defensive solution out there than can fill this void.
    And for those saying i'm being too harsh, then i will also point out that the defence are employed primarily to make sure goals are not scored against. They are failing in this primary objective massively. In any other form of employment, not fulfilling your primary objective would see you getting lined up for

Goals against are embarrassing and we're not exactly Liverpool, i.e. lose 5 goals but likely to score 6.

Sutton having a strong season is un part due to the support he receives. We are a good team on the break. Sutton has been terrific but so have others who provide the service.

The issue is how we defend with a team. This biggest difference this year is losing Randolph who commanded the back line and communicated well.

Brining in someone like Craig Gordon will not only improve the goal keeper but the whole defence.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)