+ Visit Doncaster Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: PAUL DICKOV

re: PAUL DICKOV

Just returned from long holiday hence delay in answering the comments by Donnygadgy I first went to the Rovers as I remember in 1958 at the age of 12, Bristol Rovers were the visitors, and have gone every season since. I have seen it all, would be interested to find out how long you have been going. Would suggest in future that you keep your postings to things that you feel you know something about, and not make conclusions about peoples support for Rovers based on their posts. You may find it generates proper discussion, which is what this site should be all about

We have missed out on James Bailey through all the boardroom delays. And now risk losing Wellens, Copps and Keegan to other teams. Lose any 2 of them and promotion failure is guaranteed. And somehow I don't see Paul Quinn giving his all now with his state of mind.

If we had kept more of last seasons first team players we could have done well in league one but we look like playing last year's subs and still no convincing striker. Theo's 5 or so goals for the club will hardly strike fear into any other team. He does not have the presence on the pitch of Billy Sharp.

I'll be the first to make a prediction for the end of this coming season, so next May I will be able to say "I told you so" - Barnsley will have done better than Doncaster, and Doncaster will not be promoted.

What a shambles !
    Ross Turnbull signs for Barnsley, Thus we lose the only decent goalkeeper in recent times - other than loanee Gary Woods.
    Wellens on Radio Sheffield says that it is odds on that he, and maybe other senior players, will be leaving
    Bramall and Watson in their statement appear to be saying that they would like to get back into the Championship but the aim is to do it with a mix of home grown youngsters and experienced pros to bring them along.
    a. Where are the outstanding youngsters who will shine in League One.
    and b.
    What senior pros are we likely to have with the ability to nurture them.
    What has happened to all the hype , not only from the Ryan/Tomlinson saga, but also the present owners. Remember - we will put funds in place which will give us every chance of a quick return to the Championship. Paul Dickov will have our full backing, etc.
    How come, that Rotherham United with a 10,000 capacity stadium and crowds similar to Rovers have signed on at least eleven player

Oops, not Gary Woods - what a freudian error-but last seasons excellent loanee from Manchester United currently getting some first team experience on Uniteds American tour.

After watching them for over nearly 60 years I thought I'd seen it all but my darling never cease to amaze me rovers till i die

I can' tell you how glad I am to see Doncasters current demise. You have used Ryans money to climb the leagues and soon you will be back outside the football league, playing clubs like Hyde and Nantwich, where you belong.
    I predicted last year that relegation would happen and once again I predict the same. Why am I so bitter about Doncaster? Because not very long ago you tried to sign most of our team ( and nearly did). But now the money has gone and you're in the ****. X-D
    We all laughed when Dickov became your manager-nice bloke but clueless about football. It is so good to see Wellens, whom you once stole off us, rejecting you. Not a nice feeling is it? Anyway Dickov being asked to get you success through home grown talent is a joke. At Oldham he used to blank the young lads at our club so to suggest he can "bring your youth on" , forget it. YOU'RE GOING DOWN SO GET YOUR BETS ON. Yes, I'm an Oldham fan, and proud of it. :-P :-p We never had the money you once had but we sti

If anyone is in the vicinity of the Keepmoat can you please pop in to check on Dickov and co. They seem to have fallen asleep and might not wake up before the season starts. There's more activity watching paint dry than Rovers signings. I'm all for being prudent and frugal but employing someone else's leftovers at the last minute hardly creates a motivated team that wants to win, just a team that will step out on the pitch, run around a bit, and pocket a decent salary for the next year.

Hi gotodoc, it's always nice to hear from supporters of other teams who see things differently.

Bizarrely, I don't see we really have a current demise.

Had Ryan and Tomlinson managed to become owners they still didn't have any money to invest so I'm not sure we really are any worse off returning back to the pre-takeover situation. At least Terry Bramhall knows a whole lot more about owning and managing a football team than Tomlinson.

Having been relegated it is natural to lose players, so it is no surprise we have lost 7 or 8 players (if Richie Wellens goes as well). We have recruited 3 good players with Blackpool, Charlton and Middlesbrough heritage, but just need a few more. Overall, I would say we potentially have a sound squad that should put us in the top half and hopefully in the top 6.

Sheffield Utd are tipped for top, but they still have essentially the same team that failed last year promotion last year, and I think Donny will be stronger. Barnsley have shed 20 players

Dickov has said "we'll frighten defences". Sure enough Rotherham beat us 2-1.

Dickov has said "Youngsters must step up to the plate". Yep, it's cheaper than paying for proper players.

I see we have the new player numbers.

Richie Wellens has appreared to commit to Donny after his mardy spell and no-one took him.

I assume Paul Quinn has thrown another mardy session as well. Wikipedia shows him as a model citizen (not!) so no surprise there. He's a Scottish hot-head best not playing for Donny anyway. Shame really, because he does have some talent.

And Jonathan Maxted, Liam Wakefield, Jake McCormick and Eddie Wilding are somewhere out in the cold. So it doesn't bode all that well for academy players after all even though the future of the club is supposed to be based around them.

Pity we didn't sign goalies Ben Williams or Jamie Ashdown, but there's time yet and we can't just have Jed Steer on his own unless goalkeeping coach, Paul Gerrard, has plans to put on some kit.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234