+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Thanks Blue Chimes...

Thanks Blue Chimes...

for the reading material you kindly forwarded. I have read before how punters used to go in their thousands over to the Island by ferry then train to Ashley, but for 4 races !!! The last ever race there, the winning jockey was a young Staff Ingham. He was a successful Epsom trainer in the days when the Saga Louts were Whippersnappers

re: Thanks Blue Chimes...

Quote Originally Posted by lovedeanblue
    for the reading material you kindly forwarded. I have read before how punters used to go in their thousands over to the Island by ferry then train to Ashley, but for 4 races !!! The last ever race there, the winning jockey was a young Staff Ingham. He was a successful Epsom trainer in the days when the Saga Louts were Whippersnappers
    Certainly I was a whippersnapper in the days of Ashey races... you caught the old steam train to Ashey from Ryde Pier Head and then it was a short walk to the race course, just at the foot of the downs... lovely... cycled there many times and played in the old chalk quarry with a tea tray !!!
    Ashey railway station is a station serving the village of Ashey on the Isle of Wight in England. It was located on the line which ran from Ryde to Newport. It was moved down the line during the BR era because of subsidence at the original site, it was also described in some timetables as Ashey for Nunwell.

Your very welcome LDB as a fellow connisseur of the sport of kings.Its an interesting book listing all the courses closed etc since 1900

BTW - Did you know that Great Leighs is being renamed Chelmsford City despite not being very near Chelmsford.

Chelmsford had a race track till 1939 and bits are still quite evident particularly the back straight which runs along a main road .Some of it is now a public park used by hacks pony clubs..

Perhaps one of the really ancient Posters like BK Scully FB or Sui can tell us tales of trips to Portsmouth Park races at Farlington

TVM BK knew most of that and have ridden the restored line several times as Minder is a Steam Train fan. Thought you were going put your hands up to the Arson Job on the Grandstand that effectively closed the Course in 1936.

Aooarantly at least one of the RC Company Directors was quoted as saying that the Insurance Money would come in handy

Show me the Money Honey

Enjoy th

Yes I did read that about Great Leighs. Despite it's demise the surface there has been good enough for top Newmarket trainers to exercise their horses on. They are hoping to have fixtures allocated for 2015, so we shall have to see what happens. I hope to go past Ashley on the Haven Street line as I call it during a trip to the Island next month. Certainly is educational on here

Quote Originally Posted by lovedeanblue
    Yes I did read that about Great Leighs. Despite it's demise the surface there has been good enough for top Newmarket trainers to exercise their horses on. They are hoping to have fixtures allocated for 2015, so we shall have to see what happens. I hope to go past Ashley on the Haven Street line as I call it during a trip to the Island next month. Certainly is educational on here
    My Dad used to take me to visit my Gran who lived in Newport. Caught the train at Ryde St Johns Rd then went via Ashey, Havenstreet, Wootton/Whippingham to Newport. The train went on to Cowes after that. I(and possibly Corky) used to go to school to Sandown on the old Steam train. We sometimes visited the beach at Bembridge on summer Sundays, changing trains at Brading then going via St Helens. There was a turntable at the end of the line in Bembridge. All good fun

Rats to Race Horsing (as my old Mum called it).

Be more interesting to hear of motor racing along Southsea Front.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueAdder
    Rats to Race Horsing (as my old Mum called it).

Be more interesting to hear of motor racing along Southsea Front.
    Grumpy Bladds?..a??not long till footy season..,World cup first..,plenty of F1, Cricket,Golf, Tennis..cheer up

The Derby, Royal Ascot and Glorious Goodwood before the season starts too. Plenty of winners for Blue Chimes to tip

Sorry LDB I don't do tipping or listen to others

In fact I strictly follow the 4 rules of betting.

1 - never bet more than you can afford to lose

2 - Don't listen to anyone else's advice/tips

3 - Always back your hunches no matter what

4 - Never change your mind

The last one is the one most break

with predictable regret

BC.

how

I don't disagree with either of those. I have tickets for the 3rd Goodwood Friday evening meeting (June 20th) so I'll remember those

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)