+ Visit Southampton FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New manager?

New manager?

Well Poch is clearly on his way, no surprise and I'm almost past caring tbh. A very good coach, but never really felt he particularly wanted to be here other than to use us as a stepping stone.

Sadly several key players will probably follow out the exit door and I can see a difficult season ahead. So who do we want in charge?

For me the most important criteria is that we keep the same philosophy of playing good football and giving academy boys a clear route to the first team. I would love Adkins back but that aint gonna happen, so realistically Michael Laudrup would be my choice.

Thoughts?

re: New manager?

Ok he hasn't gone yet, but yeah it looks like he will. Our board seem to be a bunch of ****ing amateurs, no word for two weeks as speculation rumbles on and on. Pochettino himself could have stopped this circus weeks ago by telling us he's staying, he chose not to so I have to say "feck off now if you're going" the spurs fans and Levy will be on his back by September.

Player exodus? Maybe!

You could try to lure Pardiola back.

The board needs to grow some balls and either confirm or deny these 'strong' rumours, how hard can it be?

I'd imagine that they are taking that stance for s reason. Perhaps it's just a bit of a game about compensation. If there are no particularly favourable clauses for your club then what can they do? They know he's gpu g but don't want to say so as it weakens the bargaining position. On the flip side, if they say he's staying when they know he's not they'll have it thrown back at them once he goes.

Best thing they can do is say nothing and work behind the scenes.

Whilst i'm disappointed to see us having to appoint a new manager i'll be pleased when it's all sorted as it's been dragging on for weeks now.
    Can't say i'm surprised as this was always going to happen after Cortese left, can't blame Pochettino imo, he was sold a vision by the guy who employed him which was never going to happen and has probably been told some home truths by the current chairman.

Who would i like to see next? David Moyes would be my choice but we'll never get him. I'm finding it hard to have much confidence in Gruber who's car crash interview after the Man U game made him look utterly clueless.

We'll probably end up with some no mark mug like Malky Makay

On almost every aspect, except financially, I don't envy Poch on this one. It seems Spurs wanted the Ajax manager (who has won 4 championships) but he apparently didn't want them.
    Then there is the respective clubs.
    Saints with patient, passionate, supportive fans. One of the best youth set up's anywhere and a team that seemed to be right with the Manager.
    Spurs are just about as far opposite to that as it's possible to get.

We'll never know what he's been told the next "5 year plan" is
    It may be the be the same scenario as he had at Espanyol where he brings the youth players through and they're sold, you can only do that for so long before the well runs dry and you end up getting sacked for poor results just like he did in Spain.
    I can understand his likely career choice as it is a much higher profile job, whether it turns out to be a good move remains to be seen.

Whilst i am disappointed at the Saints boards, imo, naivety over this situation, i'll reserve final judgement until his replacement is appointed

Quote Originally Posted by proclaimer
    On almost every aspect, except financially, I don't envy Poch on this one. It seems Spurs wanted the Ajax manager (who has won 4 championships) but he apparently didn't want them.
    Saints with patient, passionate, supportive fans. One of the best youth set up's anywhere and a team that seemed to be right with the Manager.
    ... and while Poch goes into a dressing room who are going to want convincing about why they should listen to him. The new manager of Southampton will have some of the best young talent to work with, eager to learn and develop.So for that reason I hope we don't end up with a cheque book waving Manager but someone who will work with the players to continue to develop what we have, combined with a few shrewd buys and experience in key areas.

Quote Originally Posted by proclaimer
    ... and while Poch goes into a dressing room who are going to want convincing about why they should listen to him. The new manager of Southampton will have some of the best young talent to work with, eager to learn and develop.So for that reason I hope we don't end up with a cheque book waving Manager but someone who will work with the players to continue to develop what we have, combined with a few shrewd buys and experience in key areas.[/quote]

At the risk

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast