+ Visit Cambridge United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Record shops...

Record shops...

I would love going into town and go round the record shops years ago,proper record shops where the person selling you the record was also the owner...

The last two very good shops that we had in Nottingham was called Arcade Records and Selectadisc,the knowledge of the people that served you was second to none whatever genre it was but they are no longer there,all we have now is a couple of major chain shops that are the Mcdonalds of the music world plus a Fopp store which to be fair is pretty good...

Anybody got any good independent shops in their area?...

re: Record shops...

Was recently in Weston-Super-Mare, it were horrible, however they had one record shop and one in a market thing.

The record shop were ace, they had a pound album stack by the door with Japans 'Tin Drum' looking at me with a A?6.99 sticker on it from its origional sale, it was properly nostalgic.

Went in and fingered through a few albums for old times sake (love the size of vinyl) then got ****ed off and left because I don't have a working record player.

Not worth visiting Weston-Super-Mare for a record shop though.

Selectadisc was indeed ace chalks and a visit there was allus a deffo when I went in to Nottingham.

We of Rockaboom in Leicester which has been gan for years but recently had to downsize, presumably cos off of excessive rent or summat. I still gan there to buy all my CD's though, even if they're two quid or whatever dearer than HMV.

X-Records in Bolton was geet ace too, MASSSSSIVE selection off of obscure second hand stuff. Think it's gone tits up now though.

The Pink Panther in Carlisle was a good one.
    There is one near me called Shabby Records thatshas lots of vinyl and a wide range.
    The best one ive ever been to is in Venlo, Holland three (3) floors of an amazing range of music

Vinyl Exchange, Manchester is ace.

Record shops and book shops. Music was a real adventure in those days, if you heard 1 song on the Friday Rock Show you had to buy the whole album and hope it was ok. Vinl records I think it was called at Tollcross in Edinburgh. Always had a big advert in Sounds

We used to have a great record shop in Andover called Threshold. At the height of the Punk/Oi era there was a record label called No Future and that record shop would give me 1st dabs on any new release from that label, if I didn't want them they would then be put on sale to whoever.

I forgot about the geet Vinyl Exchange. Mind yous, it is staffed by hipster bellends though. Last time I were in there were an geet tune playing with a familiar sounding singer. "Is this by Smog?" I politely enquired. The bearded prick behind the counter looked at me like I'd spat on his mum and sneered, "Of course not, it's Bill Callahan." I never sussed out if he knew that Bill Callahan was the singer from Smog or if he was being snotty that I didert know it was a BC solo effort, cos I threw my prospective purchases on the counter and stomped out.

X Records in Bolton is/was ace. Haven't been for at least twelve months, so don't know if it's gone tits up or not. Website is still going though. Some fantastic off of Kiss stuff in there as well. - view external link

Piccadilly records divvent reply to emails.

That's my contribution.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)