+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: O/T Has Anyone...

re: O/T Has Anyone...

Quote Originally Posted by Robus
    Sounds like fun Eve. Leaving the kids behind this time?

OH Yesssss!

Quote Originally Posted by Evewolf65
    I agree...

At first glance at the cover it appeared to me, Woody, that the book was a rather old book written sometime in the 1920s-40s, a one-off edition you either stumbled across on-line or in a used book store...the cover certainly dates it; your anecdote belies that impression though.

Is it still in print? Who is the publisher? How can one get there hands on it? What does it cost?
    It was penned in 2005 Tunds. I got it at Barnes and Noble last week, $10 i think.[/quote]

Woody that cover and Title to be fair aint gonna make me buy that book, Title and Packaging and Author are pretty important.
    That's why I buy books about football

Woody, a copy of "Those Feet" is in the Vancouver Public Library, I placed a hold on it and will pick it up this week.

[quote="TundraWolf" is in the Vancouver Public Library, I placed a hold on it and will pick it up this week.[/quote]

As an academic [or is that an epidemic?] I am sure you will enjoy it Tunds, lots of good social history and lively philosophical debate.

And no Eve this is not implying that yowm a thicko. Just different strokes for different folks. Which is very appropiate considering the books opening theme.

You were spot on with "epidemic" there, Woody!

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF
    I agree...

At first glance at the cover it appeared to me, Woody, that the book was a rather old book written sometime in the 1920s-40s, a one-off edition you either stumbled across on-line or in a used book store...the cover certainly dates it; your anecdote belies that impression though.

Is it still in print? Who is the publisher? How can one get there hands on it? What does it cost?
    It was penned in 2005 Tunds. I got it at Barnes and Noble last week, $10 i think.[/quote]

Woody that cover and Title to be fair aint gonna make me buy that book, Title and Packaging and Author are prett

Very interesting link, Woody, enjoyed reading it! Wow, 18 days to get from England to Brazil, now done in less than a day.

I picked up "Those Feet" at the Vancouver Public Library today and have read through the first 35 pages. What stands out to me is the 'top down' pressure to control, and direct through sports, the male ***ual libido (to stamp out "self-pollution"). This control would be considered both laughable and ludicrous today and any institution encouraging it would be seen as crushing the spirit of the individual and their self-expression much to the child's detriment.

In it, though, we see the beginnings of the "Nanny State" and the control of the individual's private life for the child's betterment and the betterment of society as a whole. To quote:

"The new manliness excluded ***. 'To be manly was a condition that excluded the physical, but at the same time was an "a***ual activity" extended into early manhood, in which ***ual knowledge and experience were taboo.' Se

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)