+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: world cup then..

re: world cup then..

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover
    Damn - that was a bit unlucky! When you have two evenly-matched teams, it sometimes comes down to which one gets the breaks.
    In real-time, I didn't think either penalty-shout was valid, but after seeing the replays, I'm not so sure. The first, in particular, was much more of a penalty than the one Brazil were awarded!
    As for Italy's second goal, you could argue that Baines, Cahill and Hart were all marginally at fault as far as positioning was concerned, but if WE had scored that goal, we'd be concentrating on the superb cross and the clever way the scorer lost his marker.
    Sterling, by the way, was brilliant.
    To make matters worse, I was with about 20 Kiwis yesterday, watching as England blew a glorious opportunity to beat the All-Blacks.
    Pass me another beer.
    It was a joy to watch a really class player like Pirlo. Watching him reminded me of seeing Tugay in his latter days at Ewood. He, like Pirlo got better and better as a p

have to admit, gerrard infuriates me with his attempted `hollywood` balls all the time. i`ve never seen one come off yet in all the years i`ve had to endure them.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan12rhodes
    have to admit, gerrard infuriates me with his attempted `hollywood` balls all the time. i`ve never seen one come off yet in all the years i`ve had to endure them.
    he could do worse than look at Pirlo, and how he plays. Some players simply get better with age. Some lose everything. Gerrard looked alot older than Pirlo. The fact is, he is quite a few years younger. Yet another case of our media being silly saying this and that player are 'world class' ...they arent. Like the Prem is not anywhere near the best league in the world. We jst have enough money to buy in some of the better foreign players.

Pirlo doesnt play any hollywood passes, but always has a huge effect on the game. Tugay was the same at Rovers. Gerrard isnt that good. I hoped the manager (god knows why as he has never been any good) would have figured out an effective way of using him. Again, like the Italians have with Pirlo.

It was a great game and personally I thought England had a decent strategy to counter with speed after Italy would push a little too far forward...as what happened with the Sturridge goal. It was a great classic counter Italians would be proud of!

I can't see England not getting out of the group stage. Uruguay looks awful and let's be honest, Costa Rica isn't a world power!

Quote Originally Posted by champs95
    Damn - that was a bit unlucky! When you have two evenly-matched teams, it sometimes comes down to which one gets the breaks.
    In real-time, I didn't think either penalty-shout was valid, but after seeing the replays, I'm not so sure. The first, in particular, was much more of a penalty than the one Brazil were awarded!
    As for Italy's second goal, you could argue that Baines, Cahill and Hart were all marginally at fault as far as positioning was concerned, but if WE had scored that goal, we'd be concentrating on the superb cross and the clever way the scorer lost his marker.
    To make matters worse, I was with about 20 Kiwis yesterday, watching as England blew a glorious opportunity to beat the All-Blacks.
    Pass me another beer.
    It was a joy to watch a really class player like Pirlo. Watching him reminded me of seeing Tugay in his latter days at Ewoo

Quote Originally Posted by Despair
    Pass me another beer.
    It was a joy to watch a really class player like Pirlo. Watching him reminded

Germany look good.

Streuth - there are some harsh judges on here! I thought England played well, with the exception of Rooney, Hart and Gerrard (in the first 30 minutes). I reckon the criticisms of Baines are a bit unfair. He had little help, but coped pretty well, and still found time for some sorties forward. The Italians made virtually no attacks down the other flank.
    Yes, we ran into a brick wall after their second goal, as our youngsters tired, but I certainly didn't witness the scenario of gloom and doom that some of you did!

Quote Originally Posted by AucklandRover
    Streuth - there are some harsh judges on here! I thought England played well, with the exception of Rooney, Hart and Gerrard (in the first 30 minutes). I reckon the criticisms of Baines are a bit unfair. He had little help, but coped pretty well, and still found time for some sorties forward. The Italians made virtually no attacks down the other flank.
    Yes, we ran into a brick wall after their second goal, as our youngsters tired, but I certainly didn't witness the scenario of gloom and doom that some of you did!
    Pretty much why I can be bothered talking footy these days Aucks. It seems everyone expects 90 minutes of highlights from every player every game, and if we don't get to see the very best of them, then it's open season. Boring.

The World Cup is a different stage and some players you've never heard of make a mark and some 'bigger' players flop. It's always been the same. Overall, I though England did pretty much what

"The media hype surrounding football"

Yep, that just about sums it up, the bigger the stage the more ridiculous the hype.
    The journo's are absolutely 'full of it' pre tournament and immediately on the back of what they 'consider' not good enough they slaughter.

Having said that, riots in Brazil, am I at all surprised, not in the least. Its a money circus orchestrated by FIFA (who are above and beyond reproach ).
    Also consider the kids in the shanty neighbourhoods watching eg Mr Rooney and being informed he is on 300k a week!
    You just couldn't make this stuff up, then again you don't have to because its out there.

Despite, and putting aside, my disgust at the 'takings' by our stars, I thought they did ok and at least give it a go. The more established of the squad though didn't really match up.

End of rant.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)