+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: England v Italy Match Thread.

re: England v Italy Match Thread.

So close to 3-1, Pirlo free-kick hits the bar.

I thought that Uruguay would be our most difficult opponents in this group. With what I have seen so far, I do think that we have a realistic chance of winning both remaining matches and that we have played the hardest opposition already.

Quote Originally Posted by Woking88
    I thought that Uruguay would be our most difficult opponents in this group. With what I have seen so far, I do think that we have a realistic chance of winning both remaining matches and that we have played the hardest opposition already.
    Agree fully, Wokes, Uruguay looks doable and I believe Costa Rica has already had their moment in the sun, helped more by Uruguay sitting back and waiting for the Central Americans to implode than through their own ability on the pitch.

What you have to take into account is that both Uraguay and Costa Rica will play at a faster tempo than Italy, and some of our players were struggling with cramp towards the end of the game.

It isn't going to be easy which is why I thought we had to beat the Italians.

Damn (can I say that on here?). Just got in and saw the result. I really thought England could beat Italy. Never mind, they still have a couple of games to make it up.
    How did they play though?

Statistically England outplayed Italy, especially in the last 30 minutes; England out-shot Italy 18-13 and had 9 corners to Italy's 2. Rooney had the best chance in the closing stages when Italy played "bar the door' but the ball just skimmed outside the corner of the net with their goalie only able to look on. Thought we were good enough to at least draw the game and after having seen Costa Rica against Uruguay believe we still have a chance to go forward.

Pirlo just the 12th player to complete 100 passes in a WC match. I thought that fk was a bit too far out but he only missed by inches and had Hart frozen. Brilliant player, I may cry when he retires.

Italy skis had the highest pass completion % of any team since 1966.

I don't think England played bad but they were tired at the end and weren't a real threat the last 20 minutes. Italy were patient and methodical and were in control at the end.

If England play like they did most of the match, they should still get out of the group.

I wonder what constitutes a pass, Michigan, as many of the passes were of the very short variety in the defensive zone involving a game of 'keep away' as they tried to hold on to their one goal lead.:/

Not to say it wasn't effective...:/ :/

Quote Originally Posted by TundraWolf
    I wonder what constitutes a pass, Michigan, as many of the passes were of the very short variety in the defensive zone involving a game of 'keep away' as they tried to hold on to their one goal lead.:/

Not to say it wasn't effective...:/ :/
    Pirlo keeps the playing flowing, always shows and available for the ball. He's able to spread the play and rarely wastes possession.

I thought especially in the first half, we looked good going forward. The pace of Sterling, Welbeck and Sturridge was good. Italy and in particular had dictated a lot of the play and England never stopped the threat from him. Questions after the game were about Rooney and where to play him, he's wasted on the wing, despite setting up Sturridge's goal. Playing on the front foot often left England and their full backs exposed, especially with the second goal, Baines caught in two minds. A few positives, hopefully England can bounce back against Uruguay.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)