+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened before penatly shoot outs?

What happened before penatly shoot outs?

Does anyone remember? I'm assuming replays were called for but I don't ever remember any in the World Cups of 1966,70,74,78,82,86. Did teams just not draw? First penalty shoot out I can recall was in the European Championships (72 or 76?) when I think it was Czechoslovakia who beat West Germany with a cheeky chipped effort down the middle.

re: What happened before penatly shoot outs?

Ties were decided by drawing of lots.

Quote Originally Posted by potatoes1977
    Ties were decided by drawing of lots.
    Thanks. If that's the case then although not perfect a penalty shoot out at least settles affairs by decree of some footballing skills rather than the simple toss of a coin or drawing of a lucky ball.

Some rubbish is written on here...

Ties were decided by a 'golden goal' not drawing of lots!!!!

Thought I read somewhere that up until 1954? - they tossed a coin !?

They did toss a coin...

CAMiller, the 70,74,78 and 82 world cups had two group stages but it was a stupid system with teams going out despite not losing a match like England in '82 who won 4 and drew 1 of the 5 games but went out at the second group stage.

They started the round of 16 in 86 and they had penalties in that tournament because I remember the host Mexico went out that way as did the favorites Brazil who lost on pens to France.

Don't think the golden goal as ever been in the world cup although they did have them for the Euros when Germany beat Czech by that method..

Quote Originally Posted by loyalmiller
    CAMiller, the 70,74,78 and 82 world cups had two group stages but it was a stupid system with teams going out despite not losing a match like England in '82 who won 4 and drew 1 of the 5 games but went out at the second group stage.

They started the round of 16 in 86 and they had penalties in that tournament because I remember the host Mexico went out that way as did the favorites Brazil who lost on pens to France.

Don't think the golden goal as ever been in the world cup although they did have them for the Euros when Germany beat Czech by that method..
    lol..ask Laurent Blanc

No coin toss has ever taken place in any world cup ever not ever...trust me!

Quote Originally Posted by loyalmiller
    They did toss a coin...
    To kick off!...Where did you get such nonsense?../ wiki

Thanks for the info everyone.

1970 didn't have the 2nd group stage but with our absence from the 74 and 78 competitions I didn't remember it was in play then. I did remember it in 82 where it looks like the 1st shoot out happened in the infamous semi between France and Germany where Schumacher became the hero after his earlier unpunished assault on Battiston, rendering him unconscious, breaking his jaw and removing two teeth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast