+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Lets take heart and have hope from the World cup

Lets take heart and have hope from the World cup

What a tremendous World Cup this has been.it has showed that the so called smaller teams can hold their own and put the frights up the best.

Teams have shown the success of playing as a team, working together, hard work and pressing the opposition.
    Add to this a willingness to go forward has made it one of the best World cups ever.

We can learn from this and take heart that if we incorporate this style then success may not be too far away.

I cannot mention this World Cup without mentioning the biggest surprise of all...The refereeing...fantastic...a reluctance to dish out yellows...allow tough tackles to take place and allowing the game to flow...fantastic.

If we cant learn from the best teams in the World then we will never learn.

re: Lets take heart and have hope from the World cup

I was sat there last night kempo thinking about the signings we have made, ie green, proven excellent player, brandy ! gifted but like evans had to needs to channel his passion, Derbyshire .. a 3million signing !!

all these player have one thing in common .. something to prove

brandy lost his way, Derbyshire needs to be a top score, green at 31 what a career finisher to get a team to the premiership for the first time if evans can get the best out of all these players we could well compete in the upper half of the table !

on thing for sure ... the roller coaster is getting ready to set off again >:-)

Holland to win

I am loving the world cup at the moment and think its the most open in years. Out of the 8 in the quarter finals think theres about 6 can win it.

I like the fact it's open and even the 'giants' of the game are being given a game by the minnows. It's nice to see so much attempted attacking football too.

USA / Belgium aside last night though it has been droll for the most part. I don't agree with Shearer that it's been the 'best World Cup ever', even though I've only witnessed 7.

The world cup used to showcase the brilliant variations in how the game is played globally, with some real footballing genius's being produced along the way. The complete unknown entities, hell - almost Alien ways of the South America, Asian & African countries in particular made it a spectacle.

Now though, everyone plays the same - in what seems to be a 'universal standard'. What marks out the 'great' players is not that they are completely blessed with natural ability, but they are World class because they do not make any errors or once or twice they might score a Worldy. It's all so clean, crisp, clinical, obvious and in many cases 1 dimensiona

Agree about the refereeing.

For me it shows a sea change. The passing game employed by Spain has been found out and surpassed by athletes with passion actually playing football instead of running around like headless chickens.

In effect last year's work ethic of the Millers has been employed by the minnows and they have more than held their own against the premiership walking society - of which Gerrard is president and Fellaini is Secretary.

would love to see a Germany v Argentina game. without checking, think it will be a semi-final game. brazil have had the fortune, much as England did in 1966. think they will play Holland in the other semi.
    should be a cracking final anyway. pity a lot of the "just England and millers fans", have switched their TV's off.

I think it would be Brazil versus Germany and Argentina versus Holland in the other semi-final, providing they all get through, of course.
    If you switch off, once England are out, you are limiting the quality of football, you are prepared to watch.
    I do, for once, at least partly agree with GmGm about everyone plays the same way, and the relation to monoculture and globalisation.
    The Brazil 70 side looked great, but would not stand up to modern defence and marking today.

even though i hate Argentina with a passion (maybe harsh) from what happened with maradona ect i would love it to be a Brasil/Argentina final with argis scoring in the 90th minute to win 2.1..

I predict a riot, I predict a riot

Strange how everyone is predicting riots in brazil are beaten. Genuine demonstrations against government policy, or very bad losers?