+ Visit Birmingham City FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ST Andrews Countdown lets have ya

re: ST Andrews Countdown lets have ya

Robbie Savage is one no one has mentioned - I know it ended badly - very badly - but he was a terrific player for us

Not necessarily the players blessed with the highest skills but players I loved watching for Blues

Trevor Francis
    Micky Harford
    Kenny Burns
    Barry Ferguson
    Trevor Hockey
    Mikkael Forsell

...and here's 6 others who never shirked a challenge

Pendrey
    Blake
    Dicks
    Dennis
    Roger Shankley Hynd ( yes that was his middle after Bill )
    The legend - Stevie Carr

And honorable mentions to Grainger, Damien Johnson, Martin O'Connor

Hopkins General?

Mark Dennis, what a shame, he could really play.

Six of the Best

Gil Merrick
    Trevor Smith
    Malcom Beard
    Trevor Hennesy
    Eddie Brown
    Alex Govan

When you read other poster's lists you suddenly realise that you missed out somebody who you would have included. Tha General listed Trevor Hockey and he should nave been in my list. Almost universal first vote for TF is well deserved.
    Rg

Maybe 6 wasn't enough Spion we could have gone with ten?

Larsson is another who hasn't been mentioned - great right foot free kicks plus two beauties from the field, at Spurs and when he ran through the entire Sheffield side at St Andrews. His personality shone through when he played too.

If Bolt had allowed us 10 I would have included Gordon Taylor; I used to love watching him play when we lived in Blighty. I also liked George Smith a lot too; later on I liked Jim Hagan for the same reasons.

What the lists have in common is that although we loved & love the dashing goalscorers what the others we admire have in common is the grit we expect from our Blues.

pretty simple choice for me

1 Trevor Francis
    2 Bob Hatton ( he made many of francis and latchfords goals physically and by making space for them)
    3 Bob Latchford
    4 kenny Burns
    5 Frank Worthington (difficult choice but he was a true entertainer and did everything that Dugarry did)
    6 mikael Forrsell ( one sublime season of the deadliest finishing )

kenny cunningham, kevin dillon, colin todd, mark dennis,martin grainger,david langan and many more worthy of selection into a top ten

dead right Spion, Bassy

WAKEY WAKEY Bolt

Fabulous Frank

wonderful to watch

10 would be fairer - but I was just thinking about Keith Bertschin. He wouldn't be in my top ten, let alone my top 6. But he did score about the best goal I've ever seen anyone score for Blues. Away at Arsenal, 1-0 down, and the Blues goalie sends the goal kick to centre circle, where Trevor Francis hits it with one touch over his shoulder straight into Bertschin's path. 30 yards out, and he blasts it past the Arsenal goalkeeper. Magic. Trevor took one look over his shoulder as the ball was coming to him, and that's all it took. About seven seconds from the Blues penalty box to the Arsenal net.

Of course, that's when we had Alf Ramsay as our manager . . .

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)