+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: It is hard work being a well fan..

re: It is hard work being a well fan..

Vigurs was creative & played well on the ball but I think he failed to stick to wide left midfield. He wandered all over the center of the pitch & that meant there was a number of times when Hammell had no outlet, couldn't run an overlap & we were exposed on the counter attack. If he was meant to play narrower then for me that didn't work well enough because we didn't have Hammell pushing wide left at the same time. A fit Zaine would be a better option.

Quote Originally Posted by wellin
    Why did we keep pressing up field and leaving ourselves open to the counter when we were 2 up? We should have sat in and kept it tight. We'll never learn. we make the same mistakes time and again. We play into the opposing team's hand every time. Iv'e no doubt we can score over there but iv'e also no doubt we could concede a couple also.
    This was exactly what I was thinking when we were 2-0 up. We had no reason to go searching for more goals. I defend Stuart McCall often, however I think he made a mistake in not altering the formation to become more defensive at that point. They were a counter attacking team, and I don't think they were skilful enough to break us down if we had sat back at that point.

'Cos we thought we had them for the taking with the two early goals, had it finished 2-0 looking back now that would have been a great result. However, no doubt there would have had fans on saying we should have finished the job and went for a more resounding victory at FP. At the time I did think that we would have scored more after the good start, as did many around me, but their fitness was a factor in the final result, along with our novice defending. In the closing stages when it did become apparent that they were coming into the game more & more thats when we should have shut up shop and settled for 2-1. If SMc had done so earlier he would have been critised.

I think at 2 nil we were all thinking right lets finish the tie off with a third and I am sure the players and manager were thinking the same. We got caught out. So we need one result which could well suit us because we don't have to think about it. Just win. We won the last three games of the season to claim 3rd. Ok we had hutch faddy and anier but we should have enough to get through.

On paper you'd think so. However to win we'll need to get our preparation, team selection and tactics right. On the pitch we'll need to cut out silly individual errors. Too much to ask - time will tell.

Apologies for suggesting we should have "shut up shop" got carried away...forgot we were discussing our defensive frailties...never managed this over the last two seasons!!!!! Still hopeful Thursday tho..

Yes it is hard work ... however, who else we gonna support? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by sieb1886
    Yes it is hard work ... however, who else we gonna support? :-)

Suggest the M'well teams of old could reform ... just like the big rock bands of our youth

Right dasdeid-
    Here's my line up for the Tribute Team, 'SuperWell', playing in Amber and Claret (just to be different). I was lucky enough to see all of these guys play and I would pay a chunk of dosh to see this team in action.
    Limited myself to eight players on the subs bench - not easy - and the whole squad is pretty attack minded.

Just a bit of wishful thinking, but what a team.

Keith McRae
    Luc Niholt; Brian Martin; Mio Krivokapic; Joe Wark
    John Gahagan; Paul Lambert; James McFadden; Davie Cooper
    Willie Pettigrew; Bobby Graham
    Subs: Steve Kirk, Dougie Arnott; Tommy Coyne; Tom Boyd; Phil O'Donnell; Dixie Deans; Brian Heron; Ally Maxwell

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)