+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Retiring From International Football?

Retiring From International Football?

It really gets me when some big headed footballer says he is retiring from international football. I suppose what they really mean is I'll withdraw myself in case I don't get picked again. Surely you should be proud to play for your country whenever you are picked. Sums up some players commitment to their national side.

re: Retiring From International Football?

Maybe he feels he has achieved all he can at that level and that now he would like to spend time with his family during the international break rather than traveling to the ends of the earth to sit on the bench for a team that isn't going to win anything.

Who are we talking about. Gerrard?

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimeram
    No not Gerrard in particular. I think he was quite committed but don't agree with his resignation. No its others who do it. AS for spending time at home with their families rather than training/playing for their country it's only a very short career. Thousands would give anything just to get picked.

If Roy picked me now, I would play.

Mind you, he would probably have to sub me after 2 or 3 mins. Nevertheless, I would answer the call and go. My Mrs would probably be happy for me to go too

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimeram
    If Roy picked me now, I would play.

Mind you, he would probably have to sub me after 2 or 3 mins. Nevertheless, I would answer the call and go. My Mrs would probably be happy for me to go too
    It would be no good Roy picking me now.
    I've retired from international football!

Quote Originally Posted by ramspride
    No not Gerrard in particular. I think he was quite committed but don't agree with his resignation. No its others who do it. AS for spending time at home with their families rather than training/playing for their country it's only a very short career. Thousands would give anything just to get picked.[/quote]

Well Gerrard didn't resign he retired and whats there to disagree with? At his age he has to make a choice and having the break in playing which retiring from International football will give him may enable him to play for 2 or 3 years longer so given his commitment in the past then can't criticise that decision.

Others Cole, Scholes and Commons from Scotland are presumably intelligent enough to know that their bodies can't cope with the extra games, again wise decision and one for them to make personally.

As for others well, given they spend

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale
    No not Gerrard in particular. I think he was quite committed but don't agree with his resignation. No its others who do it. AS for spending time at home with their families rather than training/playing for their country it's only a very short career. Thousands would give anything just to get picked.[/quote]

Well Gerrard didn't resign he retired and whats there to disagree with? At his age he has to make a choice and having the break in playing which retiring from International football will give him may enable him to play for 2 or 3 years longer so given his commitment in the past then can't criticise that decision.

Others Cole, Scholes and Commons from Scotland are presumably intelligent enough to know that their bodies can't cope with the extra games, again wise decision and one for them to make pe

Quote Originally Posted by ramspride

Others Cole, Scholes and Commons from Scotland are presumably intelligent enough to know that their bodies can't cope with the extra games,

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)