+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What?

re: What?

Thanks for the feedback on the game boys, much appreciated.

I do not really agree with the "oh well that's out of the way, bigger fish to fry" approach to the result. For me, we are not going to get promoted/relegated this season so what would be the harm in going for a really good cup run. I just hope we do not take the same approach toward the FA cup games, the fans deserve better than that.

We were disappointed to get knocked out early last season and look what happened then! I do not subscribe to the idea that we will finish mid-table, certainly not at present. If we end up with an additional striker of repute via loan or purchase, I think we are as well placed as any other team to get promoted.

Most of our squad have Championship experience and quite a few have Premiership experience so I am still upbeat about things!

That result was an embarrassment!

If we'd lost 0-1 because they'd just happened to convert a rare chance then fair enough, especially if we'd already had three ruled out for off-side, but to have let them have half a dozen chances and score three goals against a side which played with a majority of players that dominated the division above last season, at home to boot, is just plain embarrassing.

Our record in this competition over recent years against smaller clubs, and that is not being disrespectful, is abysmal!

I don't care that this competitions level of importance may have diminished since the days we won it twice and nor do I buy the pathetic excuse that says "never mind, we can concentrate on the league now".

I really hope this acts as a wake-up call- yes we're going to have to rotate but there's such a thing as too many changes, as mentioned earlier. Too many times in recent years have we won the hard matches then capitulated against 'lesser' sides- we simply cannot afford to do that any more.

The other thing that annoys me about last night's result is that it's incredibly bad timing when we're (hopefully) trying to attract better players to the club. Losing at home to Northampton isn't a great selling point.

Quote Originally Posted by theplater
    That result was an embarrassment!

If we'd lost 0-1 because they'd just happened to convert a rare chance then fair enough, especially if we'd already had three ruled out for off-side, but to have let them have half a dozen chances and score three goals against a side which played with a majority of players that dominated the division above last season, at home to boot, is just plain embarrassing.

Our record in this competition over recent years against smaller clubs, and that is not being disrespectful, is abysmal!

I don't care that this competitions level of importance may have diminished since the days we won it twice and nor do I buy the pathetic excuse that says "never mind, we can concentrate on the league now".

Neither do I but it is a distraction we can do without in a competition we're not gonna win especially the way the Club currently stands at this time, and I can't see us taking it seriously anytime soon, The Ca

After playing as recently as Sunday, changes were inevitable anyway. In recent times, and despite the 3-2 defeat, Wolves approach was a whole lot better than going through the motions.

Three borderline offside decisions given against Wolves, the only one that did look offside was when McAlinden was flagged for Clarke's second 'disallowed' effort. Numerous other chances created and crosses going in and similar to Dicko's goal, no one getting the final touch.

A credit to Northampton in the second half, first half restricted to a couple of efforts from distance. All three goals Wolves conceded could have been dealt with a lot better. The first goal, McCarey got a hand to it,second one, poor marking for the free-header, the third, blocked shot by Ricketts and then header looped over McCarey, both players could have done better.

I'm again disappointed at the manner of a early cup exit, at 2-2, i thought with the Dicko and Ricketts goals that momentum would get Wolves through, but again

No big loss, look how many championship team fielded weakens teams, it just shows everyone's total disregard for this pathetic tournament!!

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolfMan
    No big loss, look how many championship team fielded weakens teams, it just shows everyone's total disregard for this pathetic tournament!!
    Agreed, but it wasn't pathetic when we won it twice. The 'powers that be' have allowed the competition to become degraded and that is a great shame.

They should sort it or shove it! :/

I had so little interest in the game I forgot it was on last night. If our early exit from this lame competition is the difference between making the play-offs for promotion in May or finishing tenth in the Championship then, "To Hell with the tournament!"

We all know what matters, being distracted by such an event, then being knocked out in round six by Villa, and possibly losing a couple of starters through injury in the process, is hardly worth it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)