+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WE NEED A NEW MANAGER WHO CAN DO THE BASICS!!!

re: WE NEED A NEW MANAGER WHO CAN DO THE BASICS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by steviex
    I don't think its so much as not being fit as we have zero pace all over the team. Frankly that has been the case for Motherwell teams for years something I've always moaned about. Other teams can get up the park in 5 seconds it takes us 5 mins its nothing new... That makes fans wonder why they should bother when they see no vision or aspiration from those leading the club... The very fact that very few know who is actually leading the club doesn't help
    You make a lot of points Stevie but these two ring true.

We are chronically short of pace and that has cost us big time. Last weekend it was demoralising watching us trying to mount a counterattack. When Keith Lasley was breaking for example he would advance at a walking pace then stop to get the ball to his right foot, only to find himself closed down by far quicker players and then inevitably make a sidewards or backwards pass to a colleague who was covered. No wonder w

We certainly have an issue now - fraction harsh saying for years, we scored plenty of goals in 12/13 with Ojaama and Hump powering down the park. The breakaway goal at Tannadice would would have graced any league in the world.

I think some folk need to take a chill pill on here. Sure, there are some first team players that are not performing and that sure be called out. But the overall team performance is not helped with 4 or 5 places being taken by second or (third!) choice.

Most of all, McCall should not be getting it in the neck here at all! Until the team are pumped out a cup at the first hurdle again! Or after 11 games are bottom six, then and only then can we see the team have went down hill.

Far too early to make a judgment on how the season will pan out. A squad like ours needs a high percentage of our players playing at or near top form, and within a system they can all handle, in a majority of games. We can all see what happens when our guys start to ease just a bit out of position to try to cover for team-mates who are struggling; we get away with it sometimes; on other occasions the 'system' goes down the plughole; confusion reigns and confidence goes for a burton.
    I'm hoping - praying? - that a number of our players will 'up' their game at Killie. I'm by no means relaxed about the situation, but SM and the boys are entitled to a bit of leeway; 'best of the rest' three times in a row is not down to luck; fourth place in the 'all-time' SPL table at the end of last season suggests that we can get our act together. We'll see.

A lot of you folk need to get real. We have punched way above our weight in the last few seasons - end of story! What do you want? Win the Premier League and regular Cup success on Well's resources? It will never happen. SMcC has done superbly given restraints. Support the man FFS. Like Keith L and Stevie H I would love a Cup win. I pray it might happen this season. It did in '91! Come on the 'Well!

Quote Originally Posted by Gowboy
    ... He is the best manager we have had since Tommy Mclean and his track record of third, second and second proves that...
    What utter shyte. Take yer head out the sand FFS.

Agree Everwell. At last someone with a bit of perspective. Compare our player budget against the city clubs who we have consistently finished above. Short memories of darker days with bigger budgets at Fir Park. We have no god given right to be top 6 never mind second best team in Scotland.
    Cups have been a major disappointment but it is great to see us season after season with McCall having great success in the league.
    This is not to say that I don't fear we may be struggling this season to be top 6.
    I very much doubt that another manager would have as much success as we have experienced since McCall's arrival.

Thanks for the sound advice, Yazz. How stupid of me to think that finishing third, second and second meant we were doing well.

I'm very well aware of the very low points that have blotted McCalls time at the club, but over the term he IS one of the most successful managers. This has been achieved with a budget that is cut every single year! It's quite a marvel if you consider what's been done.

Looking at managers who have at least a season for the club, this is the top 5 based on win percentage:

[columns]
    David Hay
    Stuart McCall
    John Hunter
    Craig Brown
    Ally MacLeod
    [nextcol]
    [/columns]

Looking at all the managers that have came after Tommy McLean, Stuart has the best win percentage. Only a cup win and promotion from a lower league give Tommy more prominence. McCall has 1 cup final, which is equal to Terry's cup final;

[columns]
    Tommy McLean
    Alex McLeish
    Harri Kampman
    Billy Davies
    Eric Black
    Terry Butcher
    Maurice Malpas
    Mark McGhee
    Jim Gannon
    Craig Brown
    Stuart McCall
    [nextcol]
    [/columns]

Quote Originally Posted by Gowboy
    Thanks for the sound advice, Yazz. How stupid of me to think that finishing third, second and second meant we were doing well.
    You said "best manager". He did **** all at Bradford and took an inherited Motherwell side to 2 Top-2 finishes at a time when we had no Rangers, Hearts in financial implosion mode, Hibs in freefall and Dutd n Dons n Killie tightening the purse strings. Then look at his Cup record, which includes the 2 worst results in the Club's history. So a couple of high finishes in the League doesn't make him the "Best Manager" since McLean.

Look at the CV's of Craig Brown and Mark McGhee, the signings of Jim Gannon and the fitness levels of a Terry Butcher team, all of which and more makes your sweeping statement "Utter shyte".

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)