+ Visit Tottenham Hotspur FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AEL Limassol vs Spurs

re: AEL Limassol vs Spurs

Quote Originally Posted by harlow_yid
    Europe disrupts our domestic campaign? So does fa and league cup you saying we shouldn't bother with them? We get top 4 shall we not bother with CL footy as that will disrupt our domestic campaign.

I have loved away games in Europe and under the lights at the lane nothing like it. We need to give it a good bash and I need to get some good away days in.
    A lot of that isn't what I'm saying it's what your saying that I'm saying

I didn't say I wanted us to lose but I can certainly see the benefits of losing. Comparing the level of disruption caused by europa to anything else isn't a real comparison we are in domestic cups anyway(like all of our Pl rivals) and we will probably play kids in the league cup and have a maximum 6 games in the fa cup even if we get to the final, Europa will see us play 8 games minimum (Inc qualifiers) four of which will be in timbucktoo against teams that are appalling every game is ****e, the europa is

timbucktoo is in africa mate

we have a big squad and to keep them happy we need to rotate them and the europa league helps with that. beating some small fry (like west ham) brings a winning mentality to the team and makes us better as a unit.

we might only play 2 europa games you never know but with replays in the cup we could play far more games. but the point stands that CL football is the same and you wouldnt say its going to interfere with the season would you, youd just be happy we there.

Quote Originally Posted by harlow_yid
    timbucktoo is in africa mate

we have a big squad and to keep them happy we need to rotate them and the europa league helps with that. beating some small fry (like west ham) brings a winning mentality to the team and makes us better as a unit.

we might only play 2 europa games you never know but with replays in the cup we could play far more games. but the point stands that CL football is the same and you wouldnt say its going to interfere with the season would you, youd just be happy we there.
    Because Champions league is the bullocks and you get a kings ransom for participating. Europa is toilet unless you win and we never get anywhere near so I just can't get excited and wouldn't feel a thing if we were to exit early I'd take the positives

Back to the original subject I was looking at going for a week on Monday and seeing the game.
    However, in the end I thought was it really worth it.
    I would not have thought to holiday there and I ain't going for the game alone.

As for the EL winners now getting a CL place, I think they could have also stopped the CL drop outs entering the competition.
    Is the place intended to be a 2nd chance for one of the bigger teams who get Ko'd to have a chance at a CL place?
    After all 5 of the last 7 finals have had a CL drop out team contest in them and one was contested by two CL drop outs (Chelsea/Benfica).
    In fact 9/15 EL finals, since 1999/2000 have featured a team who dropped out of the CL and two ( chelsea/Benfica & Arse/Galatasaray) have been contested solely by CL drop outs...not really a good stat.
    That's what riles me about the competition. They should scrap the EL format, and revert back to a straight KO competition giving the winners a CL place and have no CL drop outs entering into

Team news.

"The final group of players to return from World Cup duty have travelled out to Cyprus for our Europa League play-off, first leg against AEL Limassol.
    Nacer Chadli, Mousa Dembele and Jan Vertonghen, quarter-finalists with Belgium in Brazil and Paulinho, a semi-finalist with the host nation, are with the squad after sitting out our Premier League opener at West Ham on Saturday.
    “It’s good news and there is a possibility that some of them could play,” said Head Coach Mauricio ahead of training at the Antonis Papadopoulos Stadium in Larnaca on Wednesday.
    Kyle Walker (pelvis) and Vlad Chiriches (back) remain sidelined while Michel Vorm, another late returnee from the World Cup with Holland, continues to work on his specific fitness programme."

COYS

My predicted 11 for start.

Friedel
    Naughton Veronghen DierDavies
    Paulinho Bentaleb
    Lamela Holtby Dembele
    Soldado

Fryers for Dier
    Chadli for Dembele
    Townsend for Lamlea
    Sandro for Bentaleb

Hi Danegee, Cyprus is not a bad place for a holiday. If I had gone to this game it is much cheaper to fly to Northern Cyprus and get the local buses down South. Loveley and hot this time of year.

Team for tonight.

"Lloris (c);
    Naughton, Dier, Vertonghen, Davies;
    Bentaleb, Paulinho; Holtby, Townsend, Kane;
    Soldado.

subs: Friedel, Rose, Dawson, Chadli, Dembele, Sandro, Lamela."

COYS

Great start, 1-0 down after 14mins.

COYS

Oh well that's that then for another year

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)