+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spend...disappointed?

Spend...disappointed?

As always...I feel a perennial urge to start most topics with an apology in case its been discussed beforehand...and given this board can be volatile at the best of times.

However... Does anyone else feel slightly concerned about our lack of spend compared to possible income and competition?

Firstly, play off final win revenue...then ALF and Grabban sell on...add in TV rights for this season and now Agards fee there's certainly revenue. Bear in mind we've only spent on Bowery plus signing ones and wages for new starters I'm really disappointed the club hasn't invested financially in talent.

I'm aware there's cheap and loan talent out there and a huge chairman investment in stand and facilities but I look at Brentford et all and their player purchases and I seriously worry we're going to struggle against anyone bar the poorer clubs in this division.

Just a thought. Sure a few quality purchases will appease my mind.

re: Spend...disappointed?

Wages. It's all about wages.

In SE we trust, my friend, in SE we trust.

yea i get that disapointment but i do trust the manager

Hmmmmmm...well...it's hard to answer that one without looking like a moaner, considering the progress the club has made in the last few years.

But...I think there is a hell of a lot of "book balancing" going on behind the scenes and there is a definite requirement that inflated signing fees, wages and agents fees don't get out of control. This is a good thing but it means that a wage has to be saved befre a new player can be signed, often a "massive" club can sign a player then clear out the deadwood, we have to do the clearing first.

There are other indicators that cashflow is tight, ie the unfinished away end car park and the unused retail spaces, we dont even use them for our own shop. The lack of stock also indicates that the cub wants to operate on a low inventory manner, ie dont risk buying stock and not selling it.

We must also remember that at best we can ony get 11000 in the ground with maybe a 9000 average, traditionally clubs with crowds as low as that get relegated fr

I was thinking the same thing today totally agree. The money thats come in is realy good we dont do the accounts.whats brentford got we havent .nothing there will be a stewards inquiry if we dont spend some money on pace at the back and a proper finisher. Brentford have spent good im not sure all ours are good time wel tell . The stadium holds water in the back carpark the units have not been filled the guest chrimes site well looks bad. Come on tony we get the money out .me and lad 560 pound for season away matches its not cheap but we still turn up

Quote Originally Posted by millmoorlane
    Wages. It's all about wages.
    Whether we like it or not, and because of the size of our club and the income it generates it's always going to be difficult for us to sustain championship football. We simply cannot afford the wage demands of the top players who can deliver in this league.

With regards too the footballing pyramid the fact is we are punching above our weight.

The pressure is on Steve to find us these gems who we can afford and make them into championship hero's.

That's it a nut shell, in Evans we trust

£20m on the ground - has to be paid for some way. Just a thought.

But I remember the winter of discontent when Booth failed to open his wallet and where that led us.

Quote Originally Posted by armo12
    whats brentford got we havent .nothing
    I think you'll find the backing of Matchbook.com is a little bit more than nothing.

Call me old fashioned but I d prefer it if we were top third L1 bottom third Championship and solvent than chase top half championship and bust. There is no financial return on the investment (except the prospect of spending still more to maintain it).

In that sense I would resist a campaign pushing the chairman to spend. It may just back him into a corner and might become disillusioned with the whole thing (as happens all too often in the football world).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast