+ Visit Portsmouth FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 'Appy gave his all...

'Appy gave his all...

Michael Appleton prepared to face Pompey and vowed: I gave everything for the club.
    The former Blues boss goes up against his old side for the first time tomorrow at the Kassam Stadium.
    Appleton endured a tumultuous 12 months at Fratton Park after being brought to the club in 2011.
    After owners Convers Sports Initiative tempted the 38-year-old to arrive, Appleton saw the club descend into administration and deducted 10 points on two occasions.
    On top of that, he faced a transfer embargo, a fire sale of talent and saw players and staff not paid wages, as promises to him were continually broken.
    The man who departed just under a year later for Blackpool, is unsure of the reaction he’ll receive from Pompey fans tomorrow.
    But he has spoken of the positive relationship he had with the Fratton faithful, and feels he can face them with his head held high.
    Appleton said: ‘It was a difficult time for everyone at the club, but I’ve got to say the fans made me feel fantastically welcome.
    ‘I had

re: 'Appy gave his all...

I don't think many blamed him for legging it to, what was at the time, a more stable club. It was mission impossible at FP in those days. I should imagine quite a few have taken pleasure in his subsequent problems though. Not being bias but if we win he'll be an alright bloke. If they win he'll be an arse.

I have never blamed him either. As for tomorrow it'll be an early start to see my grand daughters before watching 'Appy v Awfs

Will keep an eye open for you LDB.. my entourage is in the CC180 area
    Appy never really quite cut it with me... too full of one liners like "players buying into what he was doing".. I also thought that he didn't get the best out of the talent at his disposal... many of those players went off to be successful at a decent level with other clubs (others of course were never heard of again !!)

I'm not going tomorrow but I'll expect he'll get booed simply for his constant denial that he was going to leave whilst applying for every job under the sun. And look how successful he has been!

Unlike AA Appy didn't have any charisma(IMHO that is)and didn't appear to interact with the fans.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)