+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: The Independence Referendum

re: The Independence Referendum

Eugene, it is perhaps not George Galloway's grasp of economics that is lacking, as you imply. Europe will frack oil and gas as will the UK. As a consequence, oil and gas prices will plummet. For example, INEOS will soon be importing into Grangemouth fracked gas from America at half the current price paid for gas.

On the topic of North Sea oil and gas, it is, at the moment, an asset of the United Kingdom. While it may be unpopular to say so, it is no more Scotland's oil than it is Shetland's oil than it is England's oil: it is the United Kingdom's oil. In the event of a "yes" vote the distribution of the assets of the United Kingdom will be by negotiation between an independent Scotland and the rest of the United Kingdom. As an asset of the United Kingdom, North Sea oil may be assigned on a geographic basis (in which case Scotland will take possession of over 90%) or on a population basis (which is likely in most cases and in which case Scotland will take possession of less than 10

[quote="Alibi"]In the Dumfries area, canvassing seems to be showing a roughly even split, with about 30% still undecided last time I heard which was about ten days ago. The undecideds seem to be largely people who want to vote Yes but have doubts (hardly surprising given the disgraceful mainstream media blitz, and I include the BBC in that). They are just needing some reassurance, and frankly moving them in the direction of Yes has been fairly easy. I think the Wee Blue book has worked wonders too. I don't see many undecided voters who are moving towards No although I'm sure there will be some who will chicken out.

I think there will be a Yes vote. I wasn't that confident three months ago but something has changed. People have realised that they are being lied to on an epic scale by conventional media sources, and once they had it confirmed by Alistair Darling that Better Together had been lying about currency, the dam broke. People thought "If they

I have watched this topic from afar to date and at one time I was definitely a no voter, however I have become more undecided and at one time I was considering going to the yes side, before yet again, I changed my mind and started to think of voting no again, with the main reason the risk of increased taxes, unemployment, and then general cost of living that a yes vote IMO would bring.

However I have just seen something on the national news which has got me swaying again. The topic was what will happen in England should there be a "no" success. It stated that should this happen, there is a growing number of mps down south wishing to be the only ones who vote on English subjects and no scottish mps would have a say on affairs down there. If this feeling grows then surely they shouldn't have a say on Scotland's policies etc. what would happen, if say ,the English voted for a tax reduction down south, where would the cash come from to keep the treasury happy. I'm sure it wouldn't come

[quote]
    Scottish Labour, having seemingly faced up to their shortcomings as a political branch office and thereby despaired of being able to win any arguments, have now resorted to what appears to be a final strategy: telling undecideds to vote No for no reason at all.

[quote]
    If you study both cases and feel you still have to vote No, fair enough. But please, for the sake of this generation and those to come, don’t do it out of cluelessness. - view external link

It must be a comfort to you rjc 1988 to find that you were not alone. The silent majority chose to speak only when it mattered. No place for celebration or triumphalism however….just relief that when it mattered the Scottish people could be relied upon to show their customary common sense and pragmatism. A decision based on confidence and not fear as is now being spouted.

Can we now get back to football…...

Obviously I’m disappointed with the outcome as I’d hoped for a yes vote. I believe Westminster is a busted flush and independence would have brought a CHANCE of a better future for generations to come.

The decision has been made though whether it’s due to “customary common sense and pragmatism” or fear of change is a matter of opinion.

I just hope Scotland’s made the right decision as WE have to live with it!

In 1979 we rejected independence and in the prevailing 35 years have suffered, deindustrialisation, Poll and Bedroom taxes, denationalisation, Scottish lives lost in illegal wars for oil, 14% interest rates etc etc

Hopefully lessons are learned and we can move forward and build a better, fairer country together.

Oh and perhaps we can clear some of our national debt of £1.4 trillion+ so that it doesn’t choke our children’s Britain while we’re at it.

[quote="Cresswell"]Eugene, it is perhaps not George Galloway's grasp of economics that is lacking, as you imply. Europe will frack oil and gas as will the UK. As a consequence, oil and gas prices will plummet. For example, INEOS will soon be importing into Grangemouth fracked gas from America at half the current price paid for gas.

On the topic of North Sea oil and gas, it is, at the moment, an asset of the United Kingdom. While it may be unpopular to say so, it is no more Scotland's oil than it is Shetland's oil than it is England's oil: it is the United Kingdom's oil. In the event of a "yes" vote the distribution of the assets of the United Kingdom will be by negotiation between an independent Scotland and the rest of the United Kingdom. As an asset of the United Kingdom, North Sea oil may be assigned on a geographic basis (in which case Scotland will take possession of over 90%) or on a population basis (which is likely in most cases and in which cas

Snigger - yes it was ultimately re-assuring to find that the silent majority did indeed come out in big numbers. The Yes Party undoubtedly fought a great campaign but as you rightly say the pragmatism of the Scots eventually won the day.

No matter what anyone says the downside risks were enormous and having just come through the worst recession in living memory the thought of another hugely uncertain period was a massive gamble.

It was interesting for me and I suppose many others to read the Independence views on this Board as with very few Nos making any comment it was a very one sided version of events.

As you say good to have football back on th agnda and the hibs match is a great opportunity for us to build on a solid start.

We'll said, Smigger: and my best wishes to rjc_1988. We've all had our say: indeed, arguably, some have had more than their say. Most importantly, the electorate has had it's say and clearly this board was not reflective of the views in Scotland generally and of the views in Dumfries and Galloway specifically where the vote was an overwhelming rejection of independence. Let's now move on and concentrate on football issues starting with Queens v Hibs on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by rjc_1988
    The Yes Party undoubtedly fought a great campaign but as you rightly say the pragmatism of the Scots eventually won the day.

No matter what anyone says the downside risks were enormous and having just come through the worst recession in living memory the thought of another hugely uncertain period was a massive gamble.

It was interesting for me and I suppose many others to read the Independence views on this Board as with very few Nos making any comment it was a very one sided version of events.

As you say good to have football back on th agnda and the hibs match is a great opportunity for us to build on a solid start.
    My wish posting on this board was that people would look at the pros and cons of staying in the UK just as much as the well publicised pros and cons of becoming independent!

I hope everyone that voted did that.

As I say, hopefully as a region of the UK we have come to the correct decision collectively about ou

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)